Sunday, September 23, 2007

I'm a winner!

Every item I entered at the fair got a prize! I entered my favorite knitted items from last year - even if the finishing wasn't perfect... and managed to do well with everything. First - Marmalade got first place in the 'Knitted Sweater - Fancy' category:

The judges comment: "Button hole on wrong side for a woman's sweater (whoops!). The different colors used in the gold band I consider craftsman's choice! Suggest you use the same color as the band to sew each band together." Fair comments - I always mess up which side the button holes should be.


My scroll socks took second place in the 'Knitted Socks' category:


Judges comments: "Stitches a little uneven and too bad something got stuck to one". Um - the 'something' wasn't there when I dropped it off! But the winning pair were a very nice pair of lace socks, so I'm not all torn up about not getting first place.

My little cute 'Two Week Wait Hat' got second place in the Knitted Hat category. I was surprised this got a prize at all - the finishing inside looks HORRIBLE. The judges comments were: "Good job, but you should never use knots when finishing". I agree.... but it's cotton! I get nervous! My Precious got second place in the 'Knitted Plain Sweater Category' - the winning sweater was a beautiful baby surprise jacket. I knew that my button band wasn't perfect, so the judge's comment of 'Great color work. If you had picked up more stitches along button bands it wouldn't pull so much at the corner' totally made sense:

And finally, my little Teddy Bear booties got 3rd place in the 'Knitted Article' category': Judges comment: "Good job, but color changes doesn't match on one and you shouldn't use knots to finish even on embellishments".

I'm pretty excited that they all did so well - considering I just pulled them all out of my FO pile - and none were made with expectations of the finishing work being judged!

And, what is a post about a country fair without a picture of some walking wool:

A fun weekend!

12 comments:

said...

Congratulations on all the ribbons Cece! Great job!

said...

Many congratulations - thoroughly well derserved - particularly for Marmalade which is beautiful

said...

I meant deserved - can't spell/type in the mornings!

said...

Congratulations! What a great body of work to showcase. They all look amazing.

said...

Congrats on your ribbon collection.

said...

congrats on all your knitting you put into the fair. It is a good feeling when you win places for your knitting.

said...

Yay you! That is terrific. I hadn't seen the gorgeous lady Marmalade before (maybe I shouldn't admit that?), but it is quite spectacular.

said...

Congrats! Next year you can send some stuff to the Big E and some stuff to Bolton and really drag in the dough and accolades.

ljh

said...

Ooo, congrats! So, what side are the buttonholes supposed to be on? I think I wore too many men's things as an adolescent, I can't remember either :-)

said...

Congratulation!

said...

Congratulations - we almost went to the fair, but the boys and Dave got sick - I would have enjoyed seeing your work in real life!

said...

Well done! I love it that the judges give such detailed comments, no such advice here in OZ at our shows. That marmalade is totally gorgeous.