Saturday, March 17, 2007

I have conqured the UFO Mountian

Started in Dec 2005. Over 15 hours worth of work ripped out. 3 rounds of attached i-cord edging. It is done.

And it fits! It still needs buttons - but I'm wearing it today anyway. I do see it being a nice spring jacket also:


And the back:



Details:


Pattern: Marmalade jacket from Shelridge Farms


Needles: Size 2 and 3 Turbo Addies


Started - Dec 29th 2005. Finished March 17!!!!


Thoughts: First - this was a kit. I bought it because I just love the colors that they put together - I would have never used this mix of colors if I hadn't bought the kit! (mostly because they aren't 'my' colors, which is a fear for the actual wearablity now that it is done, but we'll ignore that for now) The yarn is a very nice, superwash, worsted weight - soft and pretty colors. I would definitely use the yarn again!


The pattern, though well written, was hard for me to follow. Obviously some of the issue was picking it up again after putting it down for months... but it was a 8 page long pattern, and was different than anything else I've done. I would get cruising along with the color changes (the slip stitch patterning was really fun), and then forget to do shaping, and then need to rip back. More than once. I thought that the 3 sets of attached i-cord for the edging was a bit much... but it really seems to tie the whole thing together. Plus - it gives a nice, sturdy button band. I may even get some glass buttons to finish this off! I'll go to the yarn store tomorrow.


Would I knit it again? No. Am I nervous that it's not the right color for me? Yes. Do I love the finished product? Yes! And, I will admit, that even with all the trials and tribulations, I started to slow down towards the end. I've been knitting on this for so long - it seems weird for it to end, you know what I mean?


I won't be posting for a few days - I want everyone to have ample time to tell me how wonderful this sweater is... and I even expect some of you lurkers to comment!


ETA - Thanks for all the comments! I'm wearing it to work today - and thought of a great way to keep it closed - not the perfect color - but good for now!

20 comments:

said...

It is a work of art!! It looks fantastic!!

said...

Just beautiful. Almost beautiful enough to conquer how much you've scared me off this project. Maybe when I reclaim a few brain cells and am ready for a thinking project again. I'm thinking 2010...

said...

It looks great, I have considered doing the blue version!

said...

That is beautiful, very nice. I am not a bright color person, but looking at me wants Spring here. Nice!

said...

It looks great Cece!

Nice photo shoot too.

said...

Beautiful!! Looks like springtime!

said...

That sweater is a Major Accomplishment, and it looks fantastic on you. Those may not be the colors you gravitate toward most, but you look great in the sweater, and should wear it often and with pride.

Congratulations!!!!

said...

Looks good. Looks like the back isn't curling as you feared. Congrats!

said...

Those colors are fabulous!

Isn't one of the color changes a bit off though ;) (ducking for cover...).

Really it looks great, and IMO the colors suit you quite well.

said...

Stunning. Gorgeous. Amazing. It also looks so beautiful on you. Wear it in good health.

said...

It is gorgeous! I can't believe you finished something from Stitches Midwest 2005 and I doubt I have even started anything with the yarn I got! Great job.

said...

Well done! It is beautiful .

said...

Great job on the sweater - and perfect timing, its wonderful spring colors!!

said...

Congrats!!! It looks great. Man, what a lot of work--you're awesome for finishing it.

said...

A whole sweater on size 2 and 3? You are amazing for finishing it. And it looks lovely on you.

said...

WOW. That is killer. I love the colors too. Good job!

said...

Your sweater is beautiful and looks lovely on. I can see why you were drawn to the colors. They are stunning and a mix I would never have put together.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

said...

It is beautiful - good things take time!!

said...

WOW ... just WOW - that is a gorgeous sweater, looks fantastic on and I'm not surprised it took you a while to finish - I won't ask about the ends (!!), suffice to say I salute your magnum opus - what's the next big project? ;)

said...

CeCe,

Found your blog at the Yarn Harlot. First time here.
Don't know why you say the colors are not good for you. You look amazing in this sweater. Not only is the sweater a work of art but it looks so good on YOU.
I can see that it is way beyond my skills right now (thanks for the close up). It's on my list of things to knit.
Thanks for the great pics.