Monday, August 06, 2007

Wham, Bam, Thank you Ma'am

This weekend, I did a little bit of 'sprinting' as Suzanne called it. For those who may not remember, my husband and I have engaged ourselves in a bit of a bet. I made a foolhardy claim at the beginning of the 'Sock Era' that I bet I could knit 17 pairs of socks in 17 weeks. Aaron replied with, I bet you couldn't even knit 17 pairs of socks in 20 weeks!

Game on.

That was on May 1st. We decided from that day, until my birthday would be the actual bet. That gives me about 7 weeks to finish up, and I'm at 9 pairs done. Want to see the latest finishers?


These are a pair of Go With The Flow Socks, from IK Summer 05. I knit the first sock in Sept of 2005, and finished the second this weekend. There is a bit of controversy swirling around this pair, as BOTH socks weren't knit during the 20 weeks.... but I figured now is as good of a time than any to finish them up. They are knit up in Lorna's Laces Sherbet colorway. It's an awesome pattern - nice and stretchy - I have NO idea why this second sock was unfinished for SO long!

Next up, my Whitby socks from Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road:

These were a quick knit, as for once, I got to use size 2 needles for socks! The yarn is Superwash Sock from Spirit Trail Fiberworks - I grabbed it at the Team Boston Olympic knitting party. I have actually thought of knitting with this yarn often, but for whatever reason, thought this wasn't superwash. Well, it is, and I used it!

I love the cables that run down this sock - and I know we already all agree with this statement - but that Nancy Bush is a smart gal. She has the repeats on the cables and on the little center diamonds be the same, so it's really easy to memorise the pattern and fly when you are knitting these.
And finally, I finished up my Mom's STR socks. Plain old sock, cast on 60 stitches, about 1/2 inch of k1p1 ribbing and a garter stitch heel and toe:

But it's in her favorite colors, and will make a nice warm socks for her for the winter.

4 comments:

said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again YOU ROCK! However I do think you will need to do more plain Vanilla to win....right?

said...

nice work. nice, indeed. the go with the flow socks are great, and yes, i do love the cable down the sides of the nancy bush socks!

are you going to do more 'plain vanilla' socks to win, or perhaps some 'knit 3 purl 1' ribbers? (i love that combo)

inquiring minds want to know!

said...

Wow - that's serious sock mojo - I love the way your Nancy Bush socks turned out - keep going to win the bet!

said...

Beautiful socks - good luck with the bet!