Thursday, February 11, 2010

Just in time...

To begin the Knitting Olympics - I finished my Obsession Mittens (AKA Swedish Fish). These are my first 'real' pair of fairisle mittens. I did do those Bird in Hand Mittens, which I loved knitting, but I never wore. I have this issue that I need mittens because my hands get cold, but anything too thick, and they get too hot.

Hopefully these will be a good fit for me. I certainly loved knitting them:


I used stash yarn to knit these! A random non-washable grey sock yarn (mistake purchase, as a can't knit socks for myself out of non-washable wool - they will felt on my feet), and the multicolor yarn is stolen from my Tsock Tsuspense project that I didn't do a few years ago when I was in the Tsock Tsarina's sock of the month club. I've learned I'm not a fan of 'surprise' projects. I like to know what the final results will be- and her patterns are so challenging to begin with, I didn't want to go through all the work for something I didn't like. Anyway - the yarn was perfect for these mittens, so I'm happy.

I did alter the pattern a little. I made the cuff twice as long as called for, and I needed to add 2 more rows of fish before I started decreasing, as I have large hands. Oh, and both mittens have pretty major chart reading mistake, but I decided to leave them in. Adds to the charm, I say.

One cool thing I found, which I'm sure you all know... I was nervous for the final result, as doing fairisle over 4 needles, you could totally see where I changed from needle to needle. I just did a quick steam block with my iron, and they look awesome!

I now feel brave enough to make more mittens like this!

5 comments:

said...

Those are gorgeous! The longer cuff is a good idea.

said...

They're gorgeous! I told you the it would all straighten out in the blocking!

said...

They look so nice and warm.

said...

can you show a pick of the inside? how did you "carry" the yarn from row to row. thx

said...

Cute mittens. I might ned a pair ....