Thursday, January 24, 2008

My Favorite.

I've made mittens before, but they were just to keep my hands warm. Or to match a hat. The Bird in Hand mittens are NOT like that. I love these mittens, I love the pattern, and I used a really nice yarn to boot.

I actually finished these about a week ago, but never managed to get with my friend Colleen to have her help me with the bird. I honestly tried on my own for 45 minutes - and each attempt looked like crap. See the cuteness she did?
They are a bit big - but not in a bad way, if you know what I mean. I've been wearing them ever since I finished them, and my hands are NEVER cold. The only annoying part is that the thumb is definitely too long.
Details:

Pattern: Bird in Hand Mittens, Kate Gilbert

Yarn: Rowan Cashsoft Aran, using size 2 DPNS.

I thought the pattern was really well written. I do wish she told us what our row gauge should be, as I was a bit nervous about the final size. Thankfully, I have big hands, so these are just right for me. The charted area does go right up to the top- so I'm not sure if I would be able to modify - as I love the way the full pattern looks. I think if I was to make this for a more 'normal' woman's hand, I would not use Aran weight yarn. Maybe a sport weight?

Hurrah for warm mittens!

6 comments:

said...

Very nice! I am almost finished my pair -- I knit both hands, then came back to both thumbs, and have just a thumb and 1/4 left. Maybe I'll finish them tonight!

said...

So pretty! It's hard to see how you could change the pattern without actually making a new one.

Are you coming tonight?

said...

they look just wonderful - pretty AND cute!

said...

They are so pretty. I love the colors you chose.

said...

spectacular!!!

said...

Hi. I found a link to your site from Moth Heaven. I love your mittens! I have large hands and it seems that all the patterns are for women's size small! The design is so pretty, and feminine! You did a wonderful job and I love the colors you chose. Thanks for sharing the link, I hope to give these a try one day!

Kathy