Wednesday, June 20, 2007

New things...

Well, this weekend I tried to finish my Shapely Tee, but the crochet hook and I were NOT getting along. Amanda is coming over tonight, and hopefully she can help!! In the meantime, I decided to start a few things. The first is a shawl for a wedding I'm going to in October. I bought the yarn at Cummington from these wonderful ladies. I walked into their booth lured by the cashmere, but ended up buying this beautiful yarn and pattern. It's called the Maple Tree Shawl, and it doesn't look like you can buy it yet online.


This is a truly sucky picture. The yarn is handpainted 100% tencel... and SO wonderful. There are beads throughout the pattern... and this is just going to be beautiful. I think this is the most complicated lace project that I have ever tackled, but the chart and instructions are written so wonderfully, I'm not even noticing how difficult it is! The best thing about this pattern? When there are large bits of 'plain' knitting, the chart indicates how many plain stitches - you don't have to count the little boxes! Funny how that simple thing makes such a difference.

I couldn't just have this one new thing to start! I went to the yarn store on Saturday to get buttons for My Precious, and I finally broke down and bought this pattern. Those gals at the yarn store aren't stupid - at the checkout counter they have a few samples of little things - and this hat and baby socks set have been there for months. I swear - every single time I buy something there, I look at how cute this hat is. Well - I finally just bought the damn pattern and am almost done with it:

I have this thing about bobbles on baby things - I love it! But this little hat is taking a while to knit thanks to all those little bobbles. And of course I'm making the making socks once I finish this!

OK - I need to get to work early today....

4 comments:

said...

I can't wait to see the finished hat and sockies!

said...

The shawl, so pretty! The hat, so cute! Some people love bobbles, some hate 'em. Now you've got me thinking what bobblicious thing I could make.

said...

I looked at that shawl and yarn at both Cummington and MD! They really have the nicest stuff. It is going to be stunning.

said...

*lol* Got your recipe today, thanks! Sorry about the bobbly hat pattern, that's entirely my fault.