Thursday, June 07, 2007

Amysue Interviews Me!

Well..... not much new exciting to report, so I asked my pal Amysue to interview me:

1. How and when did you originally learn to knit? I learned to knit when I was around 6. My grandmother was always knitting, and I really wanted to learn. But - although she tried to teach me, kind of gave up because I'm lefthanded (like that makes a difference). My mom (who also knits) went out and got me the book 'I Can't Believe I'm Knitting' (yes it is still in print, and yes I totally recommend it still as a great learn to knit book) and I pretty much learned to knit from that (with a lot of help from my mom). I knit a bunch of scarves for my cabbage patch doll, and mittens for me.

Fast forward 10 years. I'm living at my family's cabin in the Berkshires for the summer. I had a lifeguarding job... so I worked from about 10 - 4. I would get home at night, we only have a black and white TV - and I would run out of books before I would be able to go to the library to get more (I didn't have a car, and the library was a 45 minute drive - so that was a weekend trip when my mom was there). So - I picked up knitting again. With that same book, I start knitting a raglan sweater out of forest green acrylic. It took me all summer! And I didn't finish.

Another small break, and when I graduated college, I lived alone, and decided to join a group of gals that had a knitting group. My first project after that 4 year knitting break was a baby blanket with bobbles (again, from that same book!) for a friend. It took me so long, and I started to love it so much, that I stopped knitting on it, and saved it to finish when I had my own baby. I finally finished it 2 years ago... and um, yeah. Still no baby.

Oh - and my Mom actually finished the sleeves of that first sweater for me, and I still have it.

2. How many miles of sock yarn do you have? Ok. There are 1760 yards in a mile. And let's just assume 400 yards of sock yarn for a pair of socks. It's safe to assume that I have about 12 miles worth of sock yarn.

3. Do you really knit that fast or do you have staff we don't know about? I do knit 'efficiently'. Maybe I'll do a movie to show how I knit. It's a bit of a combo of different techniques. But I think it's more the amount of time I spend knitting - I knit when I'm on conference calls at work. Aaron does all the driving, so I knit whenever we travel somewhere. Weekdays, I probably knit at least another 2 hours when I get home. And weekends.... another 6 or 8 hours of knitting.

I don't have kids and we have a cleaning lady ; )

4. Tell us the truth..Aaron has no idea how much stash you have? You know what - most of the time, Aaron is very supportive of my stash. He understands how much I love knitting, and my reasons for having more yarn than I can knit in a year. I'm not in debt over my stash, I have yet to hit S.A.B.L.E, and it's all out in open on display in my yarn room. Although, if we are having a tight month with money, he will give me a bit of a talking to if I come home with a bag of yarn he knows I don't need.

5. I heard you had some really cool hand-dyed yarn in your freezer..what did you do with it? Um. Right. My good friend Amysue left a craptastic skein of 'experimental' yarn in my freezer after we have an afternoon of playing with yarn and dying. I had good intentions of sending it to her for her birthday - but Aaron had actually thought it was some gross food product, and threw it away in a freezer purge.

This was fun! If anyone want me to interview them, just leave me a note in the comments!

2 comments:

said...

Great interview! I mourn the departed yarn, though. Did he think it was spaghetti with extremely interesting mold?

(My verification string is ndlsxx. Sounds vaguely kinky.)

(I hit SABLE long ago. So far this has not prevented me from buying yarn.)

said...

Great interview! You've certainly come a long way from that unfinished sweater! And, I scanned back at the pictures of your last several FO, and wow, you've been on a total roll--everything looks so gorgeous!