Sunday, May 27, 2007

I have been assimilated....

When I met Cate 3 years ago - she convinced me to go to MD Sheep and Wool. We went to the festival, and while waiting in the tee-shirt line she asked 'Do you spin?' to which I answered a vehement NO. And she giggled and said, Not yet.


It started with getting my grandmother's wheel. I got a little bug in my ear. And then I was thinking I should just give it a try. Maybe just a little try. I resisted for about 8 months...and then I emailed Cate and said that at Cummington, maybe she could help me pick out a spindle and some 'starter fiber'.

Yeah. Starter fiber. That is my very own unprocessed fleece ($32!! And yes, I know it will either take a lot of time or a bit of money to make it usable) and my new spindle. And no, I don't plan on spinning 4 pounds of fleece on a spindle.... I talked to Dave and the Merlin Tree, and showed him pictures of my wheel. He says it looks to be in great shape! Just needs a few small things. Oh yeah, and I did get some starter fiber also.


So, after all the festival fun (Cummington is the perfect sized festival), we went to Cate's house for her Blegger. This took a bit of fancy footwork, as we were supposed to be going out to dinner with my FIL who lives in Westfield, but I am nothing if not charming. Look at all the wheels and people spinning!
And Amanda, knitting with some new friends:
But I sat myself next to Marcy, and she really took me under her wing.... and by the end of the night, I really felt comfortable with my spindle:
Her it is... my very first yarn! (Yes it's purple and sparkles!!)

Well, it's 7:45 in the morning on a Sunday. Every time I woke up I would think about spindling. I finally gave up and just woke up to come down here to blog and play with my new toys. I'll leave you with the super cute sheep:


Baaaaaaaaa!

7 comments:

said...

Basically Cate is an enabler and you've been sucked in!!! I wish I could've been there with you guys. I did a little spinning in your honor though-I'll get pics up later.

said...

Whoo hoo! I KNOW you resisted for years - but I also had a suspicion that it was only a matter of time ;) What perfect first yarn for you - yum.

Wish I had been there ;)

said...

That's some great looking first yarn - congrats!

said...

Cate is an enabler of the first order.

It looks like you had a marvelous time. I wish I could have gone.

said...

The yarn looks so professional. Hope the blegger was tons of fun and no drunken ripping required (although I guess you were spinning, so no worries).

said...

Resistance is futile, as you now know.

Congratulations on your first yarn. :D

said...

It was so much fun to celebrate that skein with you on Saturday evening. I even mentioned it on my blog post for the day at www.livnletlrn.blogspot.com. Enjoy!