Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Going over to the dark side?

So. I was over at my Aunt's house on Sunday, and she asked me if I would like her grandmother's spinning wheel. Um. Let me think about that.

YES!

I've often thought of trying out spinning, but the cost of my own wheel was a little to much allow me to consider yet ANOTHER hobby. But - now I have an opportunity to learn something new, with something that my great-Grandmother (Della) used to spin her own yarn.

I've taken a few pictures - hoping that you spinny folks out there can tell me if this is even usable. This is a side view - my Uncle says there is a metal piece that attaches the wheel to the treadle to make it spin: Top looking down:
Close up of other side:
Far view of other side:
Random extra bits:

I'd really love it if some of you experienced spinners - Cate? Carole? Could take a look and tell me what they see. Is this even worth getting excited about? I am going to Rhinebeck, and Cate mentioned that there was someone that will refurbish wheels there.

11 comments:

said...

Hmmm. I think there are some parts missing. Do you have a flyer? That's the thing that's shaped like a "U" sort of. And you definitely need the metal piece to attach to the treadle. I'd say it could be restored to good working order without too much trouble from what I can tell from the pictures.

said...

It was only a matter of time before we drew you into our web....looks lovely - do you know what sort it is? I haven't seen one like that.

said...

I think it's worth restoring because it was your great grandmother's! That's a huge connection. It does need work, but it's definitely do-able. Yes, the flyer is the main thing that's missing, but most of the rest of everything is there, though some of it needs work. The thing that's totally amazing is that the distaff (that spiraly thing that sticks up--it holds the wool or flax for spinning) is still there. Those are almost never original on antique wheels.

Definitely bring it to Rhinebeck and let Dave restore it for you. I got a call from Amysue today that makes me think plans are afoot...excellent!

said...

That is very exciting indeed! You are going to have a blast with it!

said...

the word "SQUEEEEE" is I believe appropriate here! Hell yeah is it worth restoring! What's there looks like it's in great condition. The flyer is missing, but Dave could fix that.

said...

And until you get it refurbished it will make a wonderful addition to the whole fiber themed decour. What a lucky coincidence - it must be meant for you to be a spinner too!

said...

Oh how exciting Cece! And a great finish to what sounds like a lovely trip! Good luck!

said...

Yes. Spinning. Just today I was thinking to myself, "Self, that Cece needs a hobby or something. She's just sitting around, twiddling her thumbs, with nothin' to do." I think spinning will certainly fit the bill. :)

said...

oh, I'm soooooooo jealous! I know next to nothing about spinning wheels, but I think it's beautiful.

said...

Boy, do I wish I could find a relative to give up a beautiful wheel like that. You are so lucky.

said...

Very nice, it will be great to learn to spin a such a family heirloom. I have had one spinning lesson, then haven't have time or been up to it, but will get back into in the next few weeks. I go with Donni, Ailsa, Sharon and a couple of others from SNB every 2nd tuesday, sometimes they spin otherwise we just knit, eat and chat.