Sunday, October 30, 2005

Organization!

So, want to see a scary 'before' picture? This is my yarn room. When we first moved in, I did make some efforts to organizing. But, that was a loooong time ago. After a summer of working crap hours (which made me get lazy with cleaning - who wants to clean house after a 90 hour work week!?) and many, many, many yarn buying trips - this is what my yarn room had deteriated to (sorry for the dark picture):

You could barely walk around. Enter my housemate, Suzanne. She is an organizing FREAK! She forced me to open all the boxes and empty out all the bags, and make decisions on everything. It took about 3 weeks, but this is what my yarn room looks like now:



She put the yarn in order by color. Doesn't it look great? Kind of like a yarn store. That is Suzanne sitting in the corner, wearing a sweater I made a few years ago out of Rowan Big Wool. I have worn it twice. It is way too hot for me! I don't know how anyone could wear a sweater inside made of that - but Suzanne is a perfect candidate - skinny people get cold faster.

Notice the sewing machine to the left - that is a new purchase. A friend of mine was selling her industrial sewing machine, and I grabbed it. It was an amazing deal, and will be great for plain, straight sewing (hello - strip piecing for quilts!). Next step in this room is ripping that wallpaper and re-doing the floor. Sigh. I'm not ready to tackle that anytime in the near future.

This weekend was filled with lots of yardwork and chores - so the only knitting I got done was more work on the Bright Socks.... maybe I'll show progress on that tomorrow.

9 comments:

said...

That's more yarn than the local yarn shop in Kiama. I wish my yarn room come study/sewing room looked that neat.

said...

Cece, What a stash!!! Its brilliant. Looks great. :-) Stripey

said...

I'm wanting to come to your house and cop a feel of all that glorious yarn. Well done!

said...

Oh you guys did a great job organizing. It looks wonderful. A perfect place to choose some yarn and a new project.

said...

Can she come visit me next? I have an organizational issue of my own. That's a great room now!

said...

I'm thinking your could be her pimp and send her out to women in need of cleaning rooms up....I'll pay in yarn - I'm good like that!

said...

You have a "yarn room"? Oh - the jealousy here!

Looks dreamy!

said...

You got an Ikea Expedite too! Aren't they FABULOUS!

said...

Cece: Now I know I have to have my own yarn room. It is so beautiful and jealous I am.....But, I have so much to look forward to. My stash is so small compaired to yours. Seeing your stash has given me new life blood to go out and buy more yarn. I was talking to my LYS and telling them that I wanted to build on another room...Need that yarn room. But at the rate you are going you will need to start more cubbies on another wall. Really, I am admiring it so much. Hope you get your gift today, but sounds like you are out of town. I am glad that I no longer have to travel in my work. All of my customers are in California, with a few in Nevada and Colorado, but I rarely go see them. We are all happy with using the phone to communicate. It has been raining quite a bit here (Northern California) and the chill is in the air. The trees are turning beautiful fall colors. Thanks for sharing your Yarn Room. Looks like you have many envious knitters that are now aspiring to create their own yarn room. Love, SP6