Wednesday, March 04, 2009

All I knit is socks.

I'm knitting another pair of plain socks. I'm using Swizzle, which I've never used before, but it is nice enough. I'm not even sure about the recipient. See, I was at church on Sunday (we go to a Unitarian Univeralist Church). A big part of the service is where we share our joys and sorrows with everyone else. This woman who I don't really know got up and shared that her father committed suicide the week before. She looked so sad - I just felt compelled to knit her some socks:
But - the farther away I get from the service, the more insecure I feel about giving these. Is it strange to get a pair of hand knit socks from a random person? I can't decide.
In other sock news, this year, I joined the Woolgirl Sock Club - and WOW! What an amazing package. We got CASHMERE sock yarn. I've never made a pair of cashmere socks before. And loads of other treats (chocolate, hand cream, a silk knitting bag). I think the color is wonderful for me - I'm so done with winter!

I'm going to cast on for these the second I finish those plain socks.

OR. I may cast on for Primrose Path from the new spring Twist. I freaking LOVE this pattern. But am I capable of knitting anything other than socks anymore? We shall see.

8 comments:

said...

You're giving her the gift of time by making her socks. Someone who knows her vaguly made the effort to give her comfort. She may love them.

said...

I think it's fabulous to give her handknit socks. I would include a note that tells why I made them, and also tells her that she can feel free to pass them on to someone else who needs comfort if they are not something that she can wear. Most of the wonderful, quirky UU's I know would be thrilled to get such a gift!

said...

I agree with the previous poster about the note and that you should definitely give them. the world needs more random acts of kindness.

said...

i also wanted to agree with Kathy about the note, just giving her the socks may be a bit weird, but i think an attached note, and personal explanation might make it not so weird.

said...

Yup, it is completely weird if some random person gives you a pair of hand knit socks. It is an amazing, nurturing, loving gift if the recipient understands what you felt for her and how knitting her socks is your way of showing her support during this unbelievably difficult time. I completely agree that the note is key. I love, love, love that you are knitting this woman socks.

said...

I think its really nice that you were moved to knit the socks - and I think a note explaining that would take any weirdness away.

Love the cashmere sock yarn - very nice!

said...

Hi Cece. I go to a UU church as well in Schenectady NY. You're being a caretaker in your community. We all need to take care of each other. We have UU groups knitting for people in Afghanistan. I think it's awesome! -Melissa (you probably don't remember me but we met at Karen Allen's knitting workshop a number of years ago. I love following your blog!)

said...

Xie29#etonx:"ms.rose nars,van ka na,'yung tali ng 13 mo tali ni SU3#."