Sunday, June 01, 2008

I'm Rockin'

A few days of obsessive knitting has produced this:

I finished my first of the Cleopatra's Stockings! It's a really fun pattern - but I have a few observations for those of you yet to start. I made the medium because the large was looking to big - and the foot fits great. Unfortunately, it's a little hard to get over my heel. Not impossible - but not easy either. I think that going up to the large would have been better - the traveling stitches would have pulled it in enough to fit well in the foot.

Also - if you are not a size 10 foot - I would recommend making another repeat on the cuff. I did as instructed, and it's only about 5 inches high (with a bit of yarn left over). I actually like this length - but I think the pattern would look nicer a little higher. Although for someone with my 'ample' ankles would need to go up a needle size (which is an option in the pattern - I was just too obsessed with the knitting to stop and find bigger needles - I don't think it would have helped the fit over my heel). Oh, and instead of 'casting off loosely' I did EZ's sewn bind off. I wanted to be sure it was super stretchy.

I do LOVE the toe and the heel. I've never done either techniques - and I especially love the toe. I'll use that one again!

Onto sock #2.

14 comments:

said...

You ARE Rockin' the Sock!

Looks awesome!

I wondered about the getting it on with those travelling stitches, I admit (hmm, that sounds a bit racy). Thanks for the feedback! One advantage to dilly-dallying with other knitting I have to finish first!

said...

Thanks for your hints, I haven't cast on yet, but am loving the color.

said...

Go CeCe!! Such a pretty sock!! Thanks for the hints too :)

said...

What size shoe do you wear? According to the instructions, I should be making a large, but going by the stitch count, medium is more my speed. I wear a 7 1/2 and my feet are 'normal'...not too wide, not too narrow, just middle-of-the-road normal.

I'm not a fan of the short rows and was thinking of maybe trying a different heel so I didn't have to do those...I actually had started the set-up rows but hadn't made it thru Row 4 and my stitch count was off, so I just ripped it out and will start again, maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for working out some of the kinks!

said...

Your sock looks fab! Bummed I'm not a member of the club, but I guess I can live vicariously though everyone else's yarn and patterns.

ps - my sister's name is Cece!

said...

Helpful - I'm a size 12 so I'll go with it as written - now I just have to decide med or large.
Nice work.

said...

oh love, look at you go.

do you just love thia color. i was ooo thinking of you.

So cece we took the repeat out because there was NO yarn left over on the medium size with the repeat in.
So my question is this? How much yarn you got left??

said...

I shouldn't be surprised that you're the first to finish at least one sock.

I was wondering if this Yarnissima pattern would be tight getting it on and it sound like it does. Her free Firestarter didn't, but it only had the simple cable panels on the side & the rest were St st and twisted rib. So thanks for the tip as I mull over which size I should do.

said...

I'm returning your comment!

That is a super-cute sock!

said...

Wow it looks Awesome Cece! I can't believe how fast you knit that up:) Thank you so much for the tips!

said...

Your sock looks great. I am going to have to cast mine on this week. They are just too pretty!

said...

There you go again! When I grow up, I want to knit as fast as you. :o) I'm LOVING the purple too.

Congrats on the first sock knit. I read yoru observations, but I'm still confused as to which size I should make!! I'm still finishing up a summer sweater first before I cast these on, but I'm hoping that will be before the end of the week.

said...

Yay, Cece! Your sock looks great!

said...

The colorway is just gorgeous!!!! I am so jealous!