Wednesday, January 30, 2008

B is for Boxers

There has only been a 5 year space in my life that didn't have a dog in it. And that was when I was right out of college, and was working crazy hours and lived in an apartment. But, except for that? I've always had a dog, and it's always been a boxer. They are the sweetest, most loving and loyal dogs I've ever known (which is easy to say because they are the only type of dogs I've ever known). But - as an example, I just turned in my chair, and this is what I see:


That is Abby and Henry. Abby is older (on the bed) - just turned 7, and Henry is 3. Abby is the dog of my heart. I got Abby thinking I was going to be single and lonely for the rest of my life. She was this sweet little puppy (sadly all the pictures I have are pre-digital). She was the reason I would get out of bed some mornings. She had me going for walks and meeting people and making friends, when all I really wanted to do was sit in my house, only leaving to go to work. And - she is the reason that Aaron was 'approved' for a second date - she loved him on sight.

Abby has moved around with me through more than a few apartments. This is her when we lived in Boston, cuddling with our best friend's cat:

But no fear - here is that same friend, returning the favor and cuddling with Henry.
Henry is just the funniest boxer I have known. He is completely in love with people. He needs to be close all the time, and thinks he is a lap dog. A 93 pound lap dog! When you think of that phase, 'dog is a man's best friend' - I would have to say that Henry is Aaron's best friend. The two of them are inseparable when he is home.

I'm really glad that when we decided to bring a second dog into the house, that the two of them get along:
Although a boxer's idea of 'playing' looks more to the untrained eye as 'boxer's trying to kill each other':
So, for me, B is for Boxer. For Maggie, the sweet little boxer I grew up with. And Stewie, who was with mom and I through my teenage years, and helped her cope with me going away to college. Sentry was a rescue dog that was my Mom's companion until just a few years ago. Sadly, Mom is a little too small now to control a big, strong dog like a boxer, but we are working on finding some sort of dog that can be her new friend. As for me? It's boxers forever! And, just so we are all clear, Abby will live forever.

8 comments:

said...

And here you had me thinking I'd get to see Aaron's underwear. (Sorry, Aaron.) What lovely dogs you have. Love the cat pic. Sadly, the dog we had briefly did not get along with cats, which is why he lives elsewhere now.

said...

Too too sweet.

said...

I love boxers too, although I have a bulldog. But they're kind of cousins you know. And I adore the picture with the cat!

said...

Has your mom considered a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? Small, smart lap dogs that love to be with their people. I adore mine and the best part is when the weather is bad it's not a big deal if she misses her walk. She can be a spaz at times, she's only two but what a great breed. At our obedience class one of the dogs was a boxer, what a sweetie I wanted to take him home with me but I'm thinking we are getting another Cavalier for the time being. Toni in Oregon

said...

They are so cute, boxers never seem to grow up, which is a pretty good thing (friends had one until recently and sadly had to well you know). I feel the same about son #2 dog Ruby, which I think is just about everyone in our house's favourite, she is just adorable and such a people's dog.

said...

Boxers are great looking dogs. For your mom, you might want to consider a Boston Terrier...they look a lot like a Boxer, but they are smaller and easier to handle. We have a Boston and he is the sweetest thing!

said...

Happiest and goofiest looking dogs ever!!

Come over with the wheel anytime-I have a ton of stuff I need a kick in the pants to finish spinning!

said...

Abby and Henry are lovely. You should really check out the website I sent you on Ravelry for Bea's bulldogs, Abby and Gus.