Sunday, December 23, 2007

Warming Bald Heads

My husband is bald. When I first met him, years ago, I was rather excited by the prospect of having something I could always knit! Think of the hats I could knit! He would need one for each day! But then I found that although he needed hats, he was VERY particular about the hats that he would wear. Not too tight, not too loose, needed to be a very specific length, and oh ya, his head is also larger than average (25 inches around, god save me), so math is always involved in making the hat. And it rarely worked out right. I did find ONE pattern he liked - but it involved sport weight yarn on size 1 needles in 1 x 1 rib. No fun at all to knit. But, being a good wife, every once in a while I'll be inspired to try again. And this year, I have Ravelry on my side!

The one hat that I have made him that he does like, isn't super warm (the sport weight 1x1 rib). So, I was looking for something that would both be somewhat interesting for me, in a worsted weight yarn, and easier to upsize. Ta da!


Pattern: Cabled Hat from Knitting the Easy Way
Yarn: Berroco Ultra Alpaca, two strands held together (took 2 full skeins)
Needles: Size 6

He likes it! Not to tight, not too loose, and plenty warm. I think it looks kind of bulky - but it will keep my bald man warn through this cold winter!

1 comments:

said...

And it matches his eyes!