Wednesday, December 05, 2007

A Rugby Sweater?

About a month ago, Aaron's boss called me. He wondered if I could knit his 12 year old son a 'rugby sweater'. As usual, with requests like this, at first I asked if he couldn't just buy the sweater? Nope - he has a black and red striped sweater from the 80's that his son loves, and of course, is totally not available anywhere. So it would mean a lot to him if I could do this. This guy has had a tough year, so I agreed. How hard could a bulky sweater for a 12 year old be? I asked him to send me a sweatshirt or something that his son likes the fit of.

He sent me a men's XL. 50 inches around.

I haven't really blogged about this, because I was thinking it was a potential failure, as I was worried about how the stripes were going to play out.

It looks good! And, even though a huge size, not really all that bad, as I'm using Berkshire Bulky for the yarn (3 sts to the inch) and a super easy pattern (Easy Bulky Sweater by Yankee Knitter). Once this is done, I'm rewarding myself by casting on for the Noro Transitions sweater!

4 comments:

said...

At that guage it should just fly off the needles!

said...

Wow, that is a pretty sweater. I'm sure that kid will like it!!

said...

Great sweater. I think you should reward youself by starting a new project and purchasing another project to fill the gap in the stash from the project you did for someone else.

said...

If there's a heaven, surely you will be rewarded there. Maybe with cashmere?