Sunday, December 02, 2007

I'm ready to fly!

My Icarus is DONE! And totally beautiful, if I do say so myself.

I was nervous that is was looking HUGE on the needles - but it's exactly what I want/need for the winter. I can just wrap myself up and be wonderfully cozy. This may be a new trend in my lace knitting - upsizing the yarn so I can really wear the shawl. Usually they are just hanging off my shoulders - I'm loving the wearabilty of this.

Check out my wingspan picture!

Remember - I'm about 5'8" tall! Not to shabby, huh?

And here is a close up of the beautiful Yarn Over shawl pin:

Specs:

Pattern: Icarus, by Mirim Felton, IK, Summer 2006

Modifications: Knit with a worsted weight yarn (Briar Rose Fibers, Fourth of July) and size 6 needles

Blocked Measurements: 110 inches X 58 inches (!!!)

This is a great beginner lace project - the majority of the lace is just simple yarn overs. I took the chart and increased the size - in the magazine it was kind of tiny... but no complaints about the pattern at all. I really liked the cast off - nice and loose.

15 comments:

said...

110 inches, eh? i dunno... i think 111 would have looked soooooo much better. *runs and hides*
seriously, though, it looks fantastic! i hear you on the wearability thing... a little 4 foot wide shawl just ain't gonna cut it for the tall and/or bustacular individual!
it is awesome. i will pat it when i see it.

said...

It looks wonderful!!

said...

That looks fab!!! I might ust have to try this upsizing thing myself!

said...

icarus is absolutely beautiful. for a beautiful person.

said...

Glorious! I love the color.

said...

Wow, it's gorgeous! I love the colour, and that pin is perfect. Well done!!

said...

Your shawl is gorgeous, and just perfect for winter. I have made some of those tiny "shoulder shawls" too and I rarely wear them; but my huge Silk Garden Clapotis gets worn to church almost every week (it's cold in that darn sanctuary!)

said...

BEAUTIFUL!

said...

Your shawl is awesome! I love the size and the color.

said...

Now THAT is a gorgeous shawl! Enjoy being wrapped up in it this winter...

said...

Beautiful!

said...

Wow! It's like the most beautiful blanket I've ever seen. Just the thing to throw on on a cold day.

said...

That is stunning and looks perfectly cozy. The pin is the perfect complement.

said...

Beautiful! Fly high, fly proud.

said...

how beautiful! i love it done in worsted weight