Friday, February 09, 2007

I've killed the Monkey

For the past year I've had 3 projects hanging over my head. Ever since I made my Grandmother her 80th birthday sweater, many family members have asked for sweaters also. They even 'sweetened' the deal by buying the yarn, and picking out the pattern.

Um. That made it worse. With no control over the yarn (although they all picked nice yarn) or the color (ALL THREE SWEATERS WERE BLUE), it was the patterns that killed me. I actually gave up on my mother in law's - and paid someone to do the knitting. I had finished 1/2 of the back, and couldn't take it anymore. And, truth be told, my Mom's sweater wasn't all that much of a burden, but anytime I picked up another thing to knit, I would feel a little guilty for not making the sweater I knew my mom was so excited for....

But the biggest 'monkey on my back' sweater was this one for my Aunt. Here is proof that it is finished (and a pretty cool sweater, truth be told).



She picked it out of a Debbie Bliss book - with a really bad picture. And it's not that this picture is any better - but at least you can tell how long it is!!! The yarn she picked was wonderful, but the pattern was boring. I figured that was fine - she is a tiny woman - figured it wouldn't take that long and threw the yarn in my stash.

In October, I read the pattern, assuming I could finish by Christmas. And then I saw the crucial part of the pattern that I missed. 'Knit back until piece measures 33.5 inches'.

33.5 inches!!!! WTF!!!

I finally sucked it up, and finished a few weeks ago. I then read the finishing directions. Edging : 'With right side facing, and a 4.50mm crochet hook....'

NOW I HAVE TO FREAKING CROCHET?

I threw everything in a bag, and brought it to the Woolpack to have someone finish it for me.

About two week later, the phone rings. I answer it, and the woman doing my finishing says that the armholes a 4 inches too short for the arms. As I've said in past entries, I cried a little. Then, I picked it up at the store, and over superbowl weekend, made each body piece a little longer.
And now it is done. DONE DONE DONE!
*happy dance*
And I have no more ''guilt' yarn sitting waiting for my in my yarn room. Oh wait. I lied. I have one pair of socks. But that is nothing compared to a sweater with a 33.5 inch back.
Oh yeah. Details:
Pattern: Maria from Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk book
Yarn: Jo Sharp Silkroad DK Tweed
Started Oct 19th - Finished Feb 7th.
Needles: Size 5 Turbo Addies

7 comments:

said...

The 33.5" of stockinette (I'm assuming) must have been a mindless nightmare, but it looks great. And, I bet the Jo Sharp was a dream to knit with.

said...

Yeah! Now is the perfect excuse to do projects for you. I love the Debbie Bliss patterns, but they are a bit boring (have two in the works right now).

said...

Wow! That's a lot of St St! I do love that cable detail on your aunt's sweater. Glad you shed that monkey!

said...

A true work of love: 33 inches?? Wow!!! It looks great and I can tell how very pleased you are!!!

said...

my sock?

said...

33.5 inches of sweater deserves a ticker tape parade. Well done.

said...

See it's not so bad and it is all done. Jo Sharp Silkroad DK Tweed is so nice to knit.