Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Disappointment

Today, I finished Emerald.
Looks great, right?

I haven't had a total disaster project in a while, so I guess I was due.

I was knitting the 55 inch size (I wanted this to have LOTS of ease - be a nice jacket sort of thing). I even did a gauge swatch. I was getitng the correct gauge - 3 sts to the inch.

So, why did my 55 inch sweater turn out to be only 46 inches around!?
Why why why?!


I'm more upset than I should be, PMS and a crappy flu/cold thing is to be blamed. This was a quick knit - a little over a week to make the whole thing... but I was very excited to wear the damn thing. A skin tight chunky sweater is NOT the look I was going for.

5 comments:

said...

Ugh, that bites. May the knitting goddess consider you smitten for 2007 and leave you alone from now on! Sheesh.

said...

How can that be?? It must be a mistake in the pattern. Very Boogelly though...

said...

DANG! (and that makes no sense...you did all the right steps...). FWIW, it's a fab sweater...

said...

See is it all in the gauge. You just shouldn't do it. I have gauged once and that was in 2006, for the Sunrise Circle jacket I knitted. I shouldn't have bothered, I never do. I do the measurement that fits me, I use the ply it calls for and the needle size the pattern says, and presto! it works out right. The gauge thing is all new to me from blogging, I have never know so many people to gauge before.

You know other than the gauge stuff up, it looks pretty nice.

said...

Oh that is just too bad, it is such a lovely sweater. Perhaps, it is now a lovely Christmas present for 2007? heh.