Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Why I knit...

I was cruising through Cara's Yarnival this morning, and I was struck by this blog post. Liz is talking about knitting for an acquaintance with breast cancer and the school shootings in Ohio, but these words hit close to home:

Maybe all I can do is counteract the violence and fear and indifference with a kind gesture. During times like this, it doesn't feel like enough.

Now I know what Aaron and I are going through in nothing in comparison to the horrible acts of violence in Ohio, but it struck me. At first, the way I chose to deal with our fertility treatments was to knit for our 'baby to be'. Making a little 'stash' of handknits to help me feel hope that soon, I'd have a little baby to fill those sweaters (and hats and booties and quilts). But, after our recent disappointment, 2 things are perfectly clear. Even if I got pregnant the second we are allowed to start trying again (Jan 19th), I would still have 9 months to knit. Taking into account what I have already knit, and what my knitting buddies will churn out in those nine months - I think my baby is all set! And there are children in our county and others that are in great need of just a little thoughtfulness and kindness to bring them warmth. Which is why I'm all of a sudden drawn to knitting for Dulaan and the Knit Onto Others, and the Mitten Drive.... I feel compelled to get away from my pain by easing someone else's.

So, I'm knitting on my Dulaan sweater, and mending my heart. The hurt is still there, but thankfully, close to a month later, I'm really feeling better.

5 comments:

said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. And thanks for supporting Knit Unto Others.

said...

awww....I'm glad you're feeling better. I'm a proponent of do what you need to do to feel better - and it's all knitting, right? The process of knitting can be endlessly feel-bettering (except when it's being endlessly frustrating, but let's not go there LOL).

said...

That's beautiful Cece, it is a lovely thing and feeling when you knit for others less fortunate. I am knitting for Soaring Eagles Project in Oklahoma, and today I come across a woman in dire need of comfort, check out my last post. At first I thought she was from Tasmania as I was on a tassie blog, but I think she maybe from America.

said...

I think it is a wonderful thing Cece to be so thoughtful to others will be rewarded to you 10 fold I am sure. I keep saying whats a few balls of wool to my pocket when it means to world to someone who is in dire straits.

said...

You're doing great and it's a scary roller coaster this infertility stuff. I hope knitting for Dulaan helps and come January you'll have some good energy for heading back into the fight!