Thursday, October 05, 2006

Sad Rhinebeck news and Sockoctober Fest fun

Last night, I made the decision that I can't swing going to Rhinebeck. I've just got way too much going on. Sunday I'm leaving for Las Vegas for a conference for work. One of the fun things about my husband and I, is that we do the exact same thing, just for different companies.... so he is going to the conference too! We are there until Thursday... and then on Friday I leave with my friends to go to NYC to see The Color Purple.

Then going away the next weekend for Rhinebeck - I just don't think I can handle it. I'm sad I'm not going, as I haven't been to a fiber festival all year - but I have to keep my sanity, 'cha know?!

I did join Sockoberfest... and thought I'd answer the questions... as 3 more repeats on the shawl don't make for very exciting blogging:

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I started making socks about 6 years ago. I was in a knitting circle, and one of the girls used to make these great slipper socks out of worsted weight yarn. That was my first pair. I taught myself, but got a bunch of help from her.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time? unfortunately, I made those slipper socks out of non-machine washable socks.... and they got machine washed.

What would you have done differently? Now I know that my feet can't handle non-superwash yarn. It isn't only that I'm forgetful, and often throw the socks in the wash, but I've had several pairs of socks felt throughout the day as a wear them.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? Oh.... I love them all. Lorna's Laces, Opal, ArtYarns Super Merino, Koigu (although it takes me 3 skein's to make a pair). I don't like Brown Sheep Wildfoote - it's too twisty for me (although I do like to solid colors they offer).

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? I prefer DPNs. I have tried all the others (except crochet - get real, I can barely crochet a square)... but I always go back to my tried and true.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) I'm a flapper.

How many pairs have you made? Hm. Over 30. I think. I would count, but many had gone to my friend with size 5 feet (due to felting issues), my younger dog has eaten a few, and I've given a bunch away.

4 comments:

said...

I'm knitting pedicure socks as a gift for my nephew/ieces' nanny. I love sock and sock like knitting and yarns. Can't get enough of them!

said...

that's a lot of sock knitting!

said...

I'm headed to Vegas on the 16th, too bad we aren't going to be there at the same time...we could have met up.
Have a great trip(s).

said...

are you sure you're not going to rhinebeck? ... because, you're on my bingo card .....