Thursday, September 07, 2006

An FO!

But no picture. I'll have a modeling 'session' when Aaron get home from work tonight so I can show you guys - but I finished the rollneck sweater! I love how it fits - like a nice big sweatshirt.

I was feeling like I was getting nowhere with the Figure 8 shawl... I'm on the side panels, and each row is 432 stitches. Ouch! So, I finished up the sleeves on the rollneck sweater to have a sense of accomplishment. But I do want the shawl done for Rhinebeck (there is my Rhinebeck project, Ruth!), so I'll get back to work on it today.

I have a question for you all. When I was at Webs, I bought some Noro Silk Garden for a Klaralund. I was convinced that I would be able to figure out how to upsize it for me. I think I'd like to get it to 50' across... has anyone upsized that pattern? And is 2 inches of ease correct? It seems like it's just 4 rectangles that you sew together, but I'm nervous about where the body gets joined to the sleeves. The picture in the book is not giving any help - the model is sans boobs, and I got plenty! Where should the seam from joining the sleeves to the body hit? Any help would be awesome.

5 comments:

said...

My help would consist of suggesting sizing it for 50 inches AROUND rather than 50 inches ACROSS. Unless you have ingested a rhinoceros since the last time I saw you. Then, go with 50 across. Definitely.

You are brave for resizing something. The most I've ever done is made the torso (or sleeves) a little longer. You are my hero, whether you ingested a rhino or not!

said...

Hey Cece.

I can help you--I've made that sweater twice! The placement of the seam is definitely worth some thought. It's supposed to be right at what I think dressmakers call high bust level--where you'd measure yourself if you tucked the tape up under your armpits. If it goes much lower it bisects the boobal area in a way that is not so flattering to those of us who are weller-endowed. Next time you're in town let's have lunch again and I'll bring both my Klaras and you can inspect. Well, I'll ask you to ignore the hinky sewing job on the second one that I have not yet gotten around to redoing.

said...

Also, I don't know if you do the ample knitters list thing, but I have a vague recollection that it was a topic of conversation there back in maybe fall 2004? Heard on the KAL, I think. Or from the voices in my head. Hard to say...

said...

oh, and so sorry to clutter your comments, but find the errata. She upsized it when she did the errata. Maybe not to 50, but it might give you more of a sense. Also, the pattern as published in the book is spectacularly and stunningly wrong. Okay, shutting up now.

said...

It is drop shoulder in it's shaping, although it certainly isn't knit up the way most drop shoulders are knit. Typically, the ease you would want is 6-8 inches total. This allows for the bulk of the sleeve under the arm. You might get away with 4 because of the unique construction, but I wouldn't go for less than that.