Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Someone get my jaw off the floor.

So. I come home today from work, and I pull into the driveway. I see a package waiting for me, and I'm wondering what it is. I'm not really expecting anything - I just got my Summer Sock Party stuff yesterday - so I wander over to pick it up, figuring it's some sort of computer part for Aaron.

Not so.

It is actually the most wonderful, well thought out, perfect swap package I have ever gotten. Look at what Caroline (who I think is blogless?) sent me:


Where to start? Caroline did a 'sea' theme. She explained in her great letter, that she was inspired to do an ocean theme thanks to 3 things - first, the pattern that she was sending, my mention of my bike ride from Boston to Provincetown, and my name (Cece said out loud - Sea Sea)!

Why don't I start with the 'standard' things. First, the pattern she chose to spend me is beautiful, Hazel Carter's stole "The Legends of the Shetland Seas". She made some beautiful stitch markers (I don't think you can see them in the picture, you may have to trust me on this) that look like little sea shells. But then, I dig deeper in the package, and I find a book 'Gift From the Sea' by Anne Morrow Lindbergh! And soap! Handmade by Caroline! (Note to Caroline, I ONLY use handmade soaps that I buy from friends and fairs and the like - and no - I'm not allergic!) Next, I find a gorgeous sea shell (which is going with my tomorrow to the office, to help remind of me of the better things in life). And finally, something called a Japanese fish float. To read what Caroline writes.... her father collected them during a short period after the American invasion of Japan, and she continued to collect them for a bit. She tells me that the fishermen would use these glass balls to hold the nets open.... and I can just picture how beautiful the sea would look with these shimmering on the surface.

Now, let me talk of the WONDERFUL yarn she included. It's called Lamoramere, which Caroline actually helped the people at Running Wild Farm name - because it's a blend of angora, cashmere and cormo. I wish I could post the actual yarn for you to touch. It is beyond description just how wonderful this yarn is.

Caroline, I can't begin to thank you enough for this wonderful package. I am taking a mini-vacation at the end of this month, and I think I will just pack up this yarn, pattern, stitch markers and book, and have a ready made bliss out knitting vacation!

4 comments:

said...

You Got IT! I am SO PLEASED that you like it - I've been checking your blog about once an hour since I knew that it had been delivered.

I can't tell you how much fun I had putting it together. The inspiration started with the shawl pattern (I'm just starting it myself!) and I didn't have to hunt far to find other things that fit into it.

There is one additional item that will be on its way after September 15th. I'll tell you what it is, so that you will be ready for it.

I have placed an order of an assortment of Sweet Sloops, Sand Dollars and other chocolates with Harbor Sweets. I'm waiting until after Sept 15th because the shipping arrangements are a little different after it cools off a bit.

I don't know if you are familiar with Harbor Sweets, but it's lovely chocolate. I chose an assortment for you. I buy from them during the winter since I'm too far away to trust the shipping in spring and summer.

Anyway, I'm really glad that you like the package. Now I get to enjoy anticipation too!

said...

If you are new to "gift from the sea", you are in for treat. Perfect contemplative vacation reading. I think you hit the SP jackpot this week.

said...

You are so lucky Cece the package of lace is goregeous and well themed. And more seaside treats to come bet you cant wait for tem either.

HOt pink socks maybe you need some of our pink EWE pjs to go with them

said...

ohhhhh looks so lovely! lucky you!