Thursday, June 22, 2006

My Chicago Trek

I've missed you guys! Things have been so busy. Got back late last night from Chicago, and it was a good business trip, all in all. Met with some of my colleagues, a great dinner and one so-so dinner. But, you don't care about the business part of the trip, you care about knitting! Here is the pictures of my Trek Around Chicago.

I was staying at the Amalfi Hotel, which was only a few blocks from the lakeshore. On Tuesday morning, I got up nice and early and walked down to the shore. I started near the Navy Pier, and walked towards the aquarium.

First, I saw these these big cement things that looked like jacks (from that children's game?), and in the background you can see the boats there were docked near the pier - how cool is that? I walked through the city streets, and it's like a whole new world!



This was at 5 in the morning, and the path was already packed with people biking and running, and just out walking their dogs.



After a bit, I was able to see the Sears Tower, and got this picture (in which it looks like my little sock is bigger than the building!).


One sad thing about the treking sock is that when I tried it on for size, I noticed that I cast on a bit too tight. I'm considering picking out the cast on row - has anyone done this before? Will it help?

8 comments:

said...

The sock is looking great and isn't it just so spoilt going on trips with you like that. It is so light for 5am, it looks more like 9am or so, that makes for a very long day being up so early.

said...

Great photos of the traveling sock.
Hee hee, The Sock That Ate Chicago!

said...

Yes!! I had issues with having enough wool to finish my socks, so I cut off the ribbing and used it for the next sock, then I picked up the stitches, re knitted the ribbing upways and then did the stretchy cast off. I wrote about it here!!!http://cindy2paw.typepad.com/2paw/2006/06/a_tale_of_two_s.html
I practised the cast off a few times till I worked out the right tension. Hope this gives you confidence that it can be done!!!Your socks have lovely colours and you have one of those needle holder things!!

said...

Cool sock! And a great trip! I hope you solve the cast-on problem, I have never tried that, I normally cast on on two stitches and then remove one when I start knitting.

said...

Your sock is awesome! Love the huge sock itty bitty building pic!

said...

Now that's one huge sock, I mean afterall it looks like you could just stick the tower inside it.

said...

Ooh, you are more daring than I. Good luck!

said...

Ahhhhh, the lakefront. There's nothing like it.

You didn't mention whether or not you made it to Loopy ...