Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Come take a walk with me

Since so many of my readers have given me donations towards my Breast Cancer walk (and you still can! Go here! The walk isn't until August 4th! And, you'll be entered in a drawing for good fiber stuff!), I thought I would bring you all with me on one of my walks. Let me first set the scene. The forecast for the next 10 days in MA is rain, showers, and more rain. And if we remember from last week, walking on the treadmill is no longer an option. So, I decided to go with Aaron to the field that he was coaching soccer practice. This is the field that backs up to conservation land, and the same walk that I referred to as the Hell Walk two weeks ago.

Thing is - that Hell Walk is a very pretty walk... and I can bring the dogs with me to entertain me (since walking the rain sucks - you need a lot of entertainment.) along with my ipod and the latest Cast On. I thought I would make it fun by bringing my camera and giving you all a 'virtual walk' So - that first picture is of the entrance to the path... and then, here we have the crappy rocks that line the first mile or so of the walk. Click on that picture (actually all of the pictures) to make is bigger... so you can really SEE those stupid rocks.

But, it's amazing what an 11.5 pound weight loss and almost 70 miles of walking over a month will do for you! This walk wasn't hell, it was just 'challenging'. I wasn't going to admit to this - because it shows just how out of shape I really was - but when I first starting walking, my lower back would hurt. I don't know what that means, but it sucked. And now that doesn't happen anymore. I even went up this big hill with no problems! And the best part about the big hill? The view when you get to the top. Sorry for the blur - it was pouring rain at this point in the walk.

Hope you all have enjoyed your cyber walk. I know I have enjoyed doing the real walking, and honestly, more than I ever expected to enjoy it. I used to be of the theory of 'go hard or go home', which is probably why I ended up gaining so much weight after the Ironman. I saw no reason to just go for a short bike ride, or go to the gym for only 30 minutes... what was the point? The point is to slow down, relax, de-stress, and enjoy the view. Even if that view is two tired, wet and muddy Boxers.

10 comments:

said...

You have an intensely interesting blog. I have enjoyed the window into your corner of the world. And I love you knitting. You are an incredible person.

-Kay

said...

Thanks for the nice walk! I adore those sort of views and we don't get those around here.

said...

I'd come walk with you, but I'm only up to three miles a day - you'd have to carry me the rest of the way - har har!

said...

Such a gorgeous walk! I can see why you like it so much. Thanks for sharing :)

said...

OH what a great walk. Isn't everything just better with dog(s). Abner and I would love to come on your walk with you, it looks beautiful.

11+ pounds! That's awesome. Your doing so great, your an inspiration.

said...

You know, there are nice things about walking/ running in the rain. I will list some of them now. No sunburning. Less sweating. Refreshing. Makes you feel like a badass, especially when you go to work the next day and your coworkers say, 'You walked/ ran LAST NIGHT??? It was POURING!" And you can all nonchalantly say, like, 'Yeah, it was pouring. But it's just WATER.' And then they realize how awesome you are and how lame they themselves were for sitting inside in the rain watching stupid American Idol or Deal or no deal or something equally LAAAAAME! You go! Enjoy the rain! It is sooooo much better than walking in 95 degrees! Bleh.
Your partner in rainy exercise, Amanda

said...

Thanks for the walk Cece, I feel pounds lighter...hahahaha

said...

Great walk, but in one of the rock pictures your dog has weirdly glowing eyes. I'm a little concerned.

said...

Good job for sticking with the walking even in the rain (regardless of what Amanda says - getting soaked to the bone and than having to go to work takes alot of will power - good for both of you!) How long does your walk take? An hour?

said...

That was great! Thanks for posting that. I may copy you--my husband and I went on a great walk this weekend in Golden Gate Park and it was like we weren't in the city at all! Anyway, thanks for sharing. Your doggies are sooo cute.

p.s. I'm making a bunch of baby blankets 'cause all of my friends are having 'em. Ii haven't made any big announcement!