Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Twisted beginnings

Last night, the gals came over to knit. Amanda and I are both knitting the Deep V vest together, and I'm happily knitting away.... when I start to notice that maybe I joined and twisted the stitches. But I keep quiet and continue knitting. After a bit... I say - has anyone ever twisted the ribbing at the beginning of a sweater? And everyone nods their heads - and says yes. Well, I've managed to NEVER do that, until last night. Bah. I had to rip out over 4 rows of 200+ stitches.... and then proceed to need to cast on 2 more times, because I was using the long tail cast on and ran out of yarn.

Everyone just giggled.

So - because the vest and I aren't on speaking terms, and I just finished *most* of my laundry, I thought I'd show off my handknit sock collection.



That shows you about 17 pairs. I see three in the pile that should be thrown away (but I can't yet do it - I knitted those!) , they have at least a hole in the toe, if not a hole in the heel. 2 other pairs are ones that I made on my sock knitting machine, and are a little wacky - as I never really took the time to fully figure that thing out (it isn't as easy as it looks, for sure). But I count about 9 pairs that I wear pretty much weekly, and a few other 'weeklies' are still in the wash.

Guess this shows that I love hand made socks!

9 comments:

said...

Without creating a stir, I have to admit to never owning a pair of hand knit socks. I'm stuck with low top, white cotton (read: boring) socks -- but I'm loving the fun colors in your collection.

said...

The collection looks wonderful! Must be nice to open the sock drawer and look in at all your "children". How does one deal with a much loved, hand made sock coming to the end of its life? Is there a way to morph it into something else so that the beautiful patterns can be kept - maybe a patchwork sock pillow!

said...

Wow that is a great group of socks. I seem to always lose one of my socks. In fact I'm missing two now. I really do need to find them, maybe the key is to make my husband quit doing laundry!

said...

well, i can't say that i have ever giggled when knitting with the tail instead of the yarn, but it does make me feel better that someone else does it too!

said...

I am deeply sorry that I giggled at your twisted vest. It was more of a knowing giggle, since I once knit 4 inches of an oversized sweater before I noticed the twisting. You are clearly more observant than I.
Amanda h.

said...

wow! you do love handknitted socks
I had a go with a sock knitting machine at Uni, it was fun, but infutiating, I was reading about how they used to train blind people how to use them, so that they could earn a living.
anyway...gorgeous socks!

said...

So...weird request. Remember me, your SP6 hostess? If I mail you some yarn of mine, would you knit me some socks with it?
~cecily

said...

cece! that rocks! I love all of those socks. I still have never knit a pair of socks - ha ha ha! maybe someday. right now i am *still* working on the sweater for Rowan - luckily, it probably won't fit her untit october!!

jill

said...

I was cruising your blog today and thought I'd click on your sock photo. It took aminute, but I realized I have knit two of the same colorways as you--that purple Blauband Maxi Ringel and the Pink/Blue Opal!!! Great minds, etc, etc... Hey, you're about to add another pair to your collection! I'm done with your socks! Yeah! I don't want to give too much away, but I plowed through them pretty quickly...