Thursday, March 09, 2006

Perfect Surprise!

This morning, I woke up, got ready for work, let the dogs out, and took the picture I promised to of the Diamond Fantasy Shawl. As usual, knitting a lace pattern like is to magic to me. I can totally understand the concept of designing a sweater... but a lace pattern like this? And making the edging as you go!? Amazing.

After I got that picture, I gave the dogs some peanut butter, made myself lunch, packed myself up - and noticed that it was garbage day, and the garbage wasn't at the curb. Things around Chez FiberFish have been a little hectic this week, as Aaron is installing a big upgrade at work... so I've been taking care of the dogs, and the little house things (that we usually share) while continuing on with my normal schedule of gym, yoga and last night, quilting class. ANYWAY! Because of all that craziness, I didn't check the mail yesterday. So, after I bought the garbage to the curb, I check the mail, and I found a present from Annie!

Although sorely tempted to rip it open in my car, I instead drove back down the drive way, opened the garage up, went back into my office, and took this picture:

Annie - this was such a total surprise! I'm not the POM of the tribe this month, and I've already gotten my match surprise - and here I find a fun, purple package from you! Inside, I find a hand knit hat - one that I have actually bought a pattern to make for myself TWICE (forgetting I had bought it the first time)! Here I am modeling my new hat (it's hard to take a good picture of yourself - but I think this one shows how excited I was to get the it!)

And yes Annie, it is still cold enough! I was already bundled up to drive to work - look how perfect the hat matches one of my favorite scarves! To cap it off, I get to work today, and I look at today's quote on my Knit Bits calendar:

When you start knitting presents for your friends and relatives; be prepared. Give a girlfriend a hat you made, and she may figure you spent an hour on it (instead of a week of free time.) If it's not exactly her color, style, or head shape, she is likely never to wear it. Don't even go to sweaters! - From Stitch'n'Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook by Debbie Stoller.

I just chuckled when I saw that - because the hat MY friend just made is absolutely perfect, in my favorite color, and fits just right. I wore it to work today - and I appreciate every stitch that she knit! Thank you thank you thank you!

4 comments:

said...

That's a great hat - and you DO look so excited.

said...

Cece, the shawl is gorgeous! I love shawl knitting, too. The hat looks great on you. I've been wanting to make one of those. Purple is your color :)

said...

What a great hat, and what a nice surprise. See now that's what I looked for and never could find the Knit Bits calendar. Oh well, maybe next year.

Dangerous new discovery at sams, pretzels filled with peanut butter. It's pure evil.

said...

It was just something for you, not for anything special, I saw the pattern and knew it was you. It looks great, and you look so nice and snug in your coat, scarf and hat, it does look cold there, but where is the snow???