Friday, February 03, 2006

Training

Today, I'm all packed and ready to go for my Yoga for Knitting Retreat. And no, we aren't going to be doing yoga while we knit (at least I don't think so!). Here is the description from the website: This weekend is an opportunity to enjoy and celebrate the yogic aspects of knitting and to explore the imaginative and artistic possibilities of color, pattern, and design. We will learn and practice the techniques of "tying on" and "weaving in" that are used by extraordinary knitters such as Kaffe Fassett in intarsia (multicolor) knitting, and experience how using your own sense of color with simple geometric patterns can open you to new creative freedom and possibility.

Therefore, I thought that it made total sense to cast on for some Fairisle, to warm up. Grandma's sweater? What's that? So - I cast on last night for the Pirate Mittens from Hello Yarn. First - what a fun pattern! I couldn't put it down! Here are my results after an evening of knitting:


Looks cool, right? Well, it's WAY to small. There is my first lesson in Fairisle - that even though I usually need to go down 2 needles size to get gauge - not this time! So - I had to rip:

But - instead of being a good girl, and working on Grandma's sweater last night, I cast on again, and now, I'm almost back to where I was:
Hope everyone has a great weekend. I'm taking a half day from work to travel to Kripalu. But, before I get there, I'm going to stop at Colorful Stitches to get the yarn for Gumparina's Odessa. I want to use the Rowan Cashsoft DK, but my LYS doesn't have it - so I figured they would. I called to check - and they are having a 25% off sale this weekend! Yippee!

7 comments:

said...

The mitten is a total hoot! Enjoy your retreat (and your shopping)!

said...

I hope you have a wonderful time!! Want to shove me in your suitcase? I am desperate from a break from the teenagers.

said...

Oh my! They looked great before and after the frog. Can't wait to get my yarn. I'm thinking of doing them opposite for each.

Have a great time at the retreat. My excellent pal PurlingSwine Ann will be there - do me a favor - when you meet her run up to her and give her a big kiss. Tell her it's from me! She'll laugh her ass off!

said...

Have a great time--wish I could have been there, but the weekends away must be rationed!

said...

Those are killer.

I want to yaga and knit.

Have fun!

said...

yoga not yaga...geez I need to get with it.

said...

Tres cool mittens. Hope your weekend was very relaxing.