Friday, January 20, 2006

Stepping it up

Well, even though we knew that Kappa was terminally ill, I didn't think he would pass away so soon. Therefore, I feel like the special sweater for Grandma can't wait for the Knitting Olympics to be started. Have no fear - I have plenty of ideas for a new entry. But, yesterday after work, I went to the Woolpack to pick out my yarn. I was going to design the pattern myself. The Woolpack has a huge amount of 1825 Wool (which fills the requirement of machine washable) in stock - but none of the bright red I was envisioning. I spent about an hour walking around the shop, trying to figure out if I had time to special order the yarn, thinking if I should do a chunky yarn instead, being distracted by sock yarn.... you know how it goes while looking at yarn! In the end I decided on this pattern (the Faye Jacket from the pattern book Decade by Mission Falls):




I think Grandma will like it - it's feminine, it's got cables, and in order for it to look right with the zipper she requested, I'm going to make it a standard neck (no shawl collar). AND - there is the added bonus that I don't have to design the pattern! Here is the 'swatch' I started last night (or you could say I just cast on for the left front, hoping I'd hit the gauge right on the first try. I did).
I think the color, although not the red I was envisioning, is a good color. It's a calmer red than I wanted - but a good 'grandma red'. The pattern is a good one - looks complicated but is easy to follow without a pattern. The prospects are good for me finishing this by her birthday on Feb 14th - in 3 hours of knitting last night (including three false starts because I apparently couldn't read the freaking pattern) I got four inches done.

We are leaving in a bit for Nantcuket. I'm going to bring this to work on, because I'm assuming there will be a lot of 'down time', along with my almost finished Jaywalkers. Hope everyone has a good weekend, and thank you all for your kind words - I relayed them onto my husband - who appreciates them very much.

5 comments:

said...

I like hte pattern and the color very much, I think it's perfect and your grandmother will love and appreciate it.

said...

V. nice!

said...

It's a beautiful jacket, and I thing Grandma will love the color and the pattern.

I hope things go as well as they can this weekend ...

said...

It is beautiful, that you will make it with love makes it all the better!

said...

What a lovely colour and I love the pattern.