Thursday, January 19, 2006

Sad News

Aaron's grandfather passed away last night. We knew it was coming but it is still sad, of course. Here he is, just over 2 months ago at his own 60th wedding anniversary party:It's amazing how quickly he went from this smiling man to a very sick person. I only knew him for 5 years, but the stories of Kappa were legendary. He retired to Nantucket in 1975, but while on the island, took under his wing an alcoholic man who was running a bake shop into the ground. Kappa bought it from him, promising him if he stayed sober, he would give him the price of the shop and a year's salary when he left. And that man did! The Bake Shop is still going strong today, and still family owned. He raised 4 children, and those 4 children had 11 children, who now have had 1 child - quite a legacy. My husband would stay with his grandparents over the summer, and work at the Bake Shop - some of his fondest childhood memories are from those summers.

Although we know it was his time, we will miss you Kappa.

10 comments:

said...

My condolences to you and Aaron on your loss.

said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, it doesn't matter how prepared we are, it still hurts.

My thoughts are with you, Kappa sounds like a wonderful man.

said...

Condolences to Aaron and his family (including you). It sounds like Kappa made the world a better place.

said...

I'm sorry for your loss! Even when expected it is still tough. I'll be thinking of you guys.

said...

I am loving the sound of the donuts at the Bake shop....lovely story Cece

said...

Thats sad...I am glad you have some memories and stories to remember him through.

said...

Memories keep the soul alive. Kappa sounds like a wonderful man, my thoughts are with you.

said...

My deepest sympathies to you all. He sounds such a great man ... may he rest in peace.

said...

I am very late with my wishes, but they are heartfelt all the same. You and your family are in my heart.

said...

I am so sorry for your loss. My deepest sympathy for your family.

Please forgive my tardiness. If you or Aaron need anything - I'm just an email away.

Thinking of you...