Wednesday, January 11, 2006

How Freaking Cool is this?!

Tarsha gave me a really fun kit for Christmas. Using Noro Silk Garden and Noro Big Tubu, I made this scarf. How freaking cool is that? I used a size J hook for the crocheting, and here is the pattern. (scroll to the bottom, it is pattern NK-107). Instead of the 70 grids called for - I did 81. I meant to do 80, but got a little carried away...and didn't want to waste any of the Big Tubu. I also needed a little more than one ball of the Silk Garden (see story below) but that probably is my new crocheting skills and not the pattern's (which calls for one skein of each Silk Garden and Big Tubu) fault.

The other cool thing about this? The absolutely AMAZING customer service I got from In Stitches. Here is the story. Tarsha gave me this as a present on Saturday night. I stayed up that night until after midnight crocheting the grids. (I'm not the best at crochet). The next day, while driving around doing errands, I kept on working on it. I needed to do 70 rows of the grid pattern, and I was only on row 48 when I ran out of yarn. So, on Monday, I called the store that Tarsha bought the kit from (In Stitches in Weston, MA). After giving her my order, she needed my mailing address. I gave it to her - and she said that is on my way home. Want me just to drop it off for you at your house?

Hell yah! Turns out, she drives right by my house on her way home after work! I have never even been to this store, and she went out of her way to get me the yarn that night (I did tell her how obsessed I was with finishing the scarf). That is really the best customer service that I have ever gotten.

Which of course gave me full justification in buying 4 more balls of the Silk Garden instead of just one. I need to make a matching hat, don't you think?

11 comments:

said...

You are too funny! Only CeCe would get such service. I made an afghan for my Mom with that technique. I used mutliple strands of worsted weight to pull through the grid. Even duplicated the plaid of her couch with the pattern, plaid is very easy to do with this technique. I love the scarf! Hmm, maybe I could just use the same idea as above to make one.

said...

That is a really neat scarf.

But I have to disagree, that's not great customer service, that's amazing customer service!

said...

Gorgeous scarf! I love the way the light hits it. Very pretty. And yea, I'd say that is amazing customer service. I wish I could go to that shop!

said...

see it just proves that great customer service is worth it for the store - you bought more than you planned didn't you?? Why dont they all get it?? The scarf looks great- well done. :-) Stripey

said...

That turned our really nice, glad you liked it. Now I have to work on mine.

said...

Thats really Freaking cool!

said...

I agree, very freaking cool - and the scarf too ;-)

said...

Noro Tubu? Gotta google that! Gorgeous scarf!

said...

OH, SUUUURE! You kick me out halfway through a show that night, but stay up till midnight for a SCARF????? I see how it is. Well, just for that, I am frowning at you. >:(
Amanda

said...

That is a gorgeous scarf. I covet that scarf.

And that kind of service. That's a store worthy of a knitter's loyalty.

said...

I just got your Blog on a hit from Google search for Tubu. I love the scarf! but alas the pattern link is long gone. Was this pattern in a published piece with any other ideas for using this fun stuff? I got a little crazy on eBay and have a large stash of large Tubu and some black camel in the same format...in other words...LOTS. Any additional uses would be greatly appreciated by the other yarn squashed in that container. TIA karawills@sbcglobal.net