Sunday, December 11, 2005

Something new...

This weekend, I took 2 classes with Melissa Leapman - she is wonderful! The first class, Fully Fashioned and Fabulous - was really great. She showed us some great ways to make the shaping of a item become a part of the design. Although that class was 'fabulous' (haha) and I met fun new people ( hi Anne!), it was the second part of the day, Crochet for Cowards where I learned the most.

I have been trying to figure out crochet for years - and hadn't yet been successful. I have no idea how she did it, but Melissa just managed to explain it to me in a way I could understand - and here is proof - a famous knitter picture with Melissa, and the beginnings of bag that I had crocheted MYSELF. That's right folks, the left handed gal got the hang of it. Melissa did ask for my blog address - so if you read this - thank you thank you thank you! Crochet DOESN'T suck. I even went to Willow Books and bought their last copy of Cool Crochet. I would love any other crochet book recommendations you folks may have.

Oh, and one last thing - I've got to add my little Knitty picture in here. Ruth sat with Laurie and I for the crochet class, and I had to post this picture for Amy. Here I am, wearing my finished Samus (which is turning into my weekend sweater - I just love it) with Ruth, who is wearing her very beautiful Clapotis, out of Silk Garden. As usual, another fun fiber person to meet in person. We actually had spoken at the last Yarn Harlot book signing, but you do get to know someone while struggling to learn a new skill! Hello again Ruth!

It was a great weekend all around, but for some strange reason, I've got it in my head that I can knit a large number of Christmas gifts in the next two weeks. Many will be 'secret' knitting - so it'll be interesting to see how it progress over the next 14 days..... I've never burdened myself with Christmas knitting before - I don't know what's come over me!

Help!?

4 comments:

said...

you guys are adorable, and i love your knitwear! also nice to see a finished samus, and not in orange, even! :-) purty...

said...

Oh, I should have had you take Melissa a present from me. A friend is Melissa's stalker and I had to sit in at Stitches and be the substitute stalker on the classes Sherry wasn't in this year. I took 3 classes with Melissa and she is absolutely Fabulous! A knitter's teacher for sure.

said...

It was a lot of fun -- we may have been the Rowdy Table, but it was a fun rowdy, and Melissa was a wonderful teacher.

Thanks for posting the picture!

said...

Wow Cece, Amy from Knitty comenting on your blog!! Your Samus does look brilliant - I am often inspired more by photos on blogs than by the shots oon eth pattern. It really helps to see REAL people wearing them! The Silk garden clap is FAB too!! the dye your own is definateley a hit! Very generous and unexpected! You're a STAR! :-) Shaz