Monday, December 12, 2005

My first ever Blog Contest

As the Secret Knitting progresses, I offer this Blog Contest as a diversion.

For my family, Christmas cookies are a HUGE part of the holiday. We have 5 cookies that we always make (Russian Tea Cookies, Tollhouse, Festive Cherry-etts, Spritz, and Chocolate Macaroons). This year, I'm making them all by myself. Now, since I'm not a fan of the Russian Tea Cookies or the Chocolate Macaroons, I challenge you to give me a cookie recipe that can take their place.

The rules:
1. I need the full recipe and I picture. You can either e-mail me the picture, or post it on your blog. I think the look of the cookie is as important as the taste at Christmas-time!
2. Entries MUST be received by Midnight on Monday, Dec 19th (I need time to bake!)

The Prize:
A quilting book and a kit to make the Branching Out scarf from Knitty.

I'll start it off. Here is a picture of a Festive Cherry-ette from tonight's baking:

Ingredients:

3/4 cup shortening

1/4 cup butter

tsp salt

1/2 cup Powered sugar

2 Tsp vanilla

Beat the above ingredients together, slowly adding 2 cups sifted flour and 1 cup finely chopped pecans.

Roll dough into 1 inch diameter balls, and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press a candied cherry into the top of each cookie. Bake at 325 for 25 minutes.

I got 4 dozen cookies when I made these tonight, my mom claims to get 5 1/2 dozen - but she is an over-achiever.

9 comments:

said...

Oh wow - I hope I have time to enter! Can I have the recipe for the Russian Tea cookies?? They sound perfect for my parents-in-law who love Russian Caravan Tea!! :-)

said...

I don't know if I have time to get around to baking cookies! Can I just give a quick nut mix instead?

said...

See my Dec 7th post...

http://knitting.designedlykristi.com/?p=382

Cookies, Caramels & Ost Kaka!

said...

Feh!!! It's called ButterDreams, not Cherry-ettes and you don't use two teaspoons of vanilla, but instead two teaspoons of almond oil. Otherwise it's the exact same recipe and looks the same! I suppose this won't count as an entry....but really, my favorite cookies to make are Butter Dreams.

said...

I'm in, I'm in, I'll take a picture tonight and post tomorrow!!!

said...

Okeedokie Cece, my entry is up over at Comfortably Numb...thanks for the invite.

said...

Chocolate macaroons? What could possibly be wrong with chocolate macaroons?!! Sounds yummy!

I don't really make anything spectacular. I do make a killer devilled egg and a fudge that you can make in the microwave. One of those two usually gets me thru the holiday party circuit!

said...

I've posted my entry over at my blog!

http://knit-whit.blogspot.com/2005/12/sunflower-snackeroos.html

Happy Holiday baking!!

said...

Hi Cece, my recipe is at my site (but you knew that!)