Monday, May 02, 2005

My first steeking experience!

As promised, here are pictures of my fun at WEBS this weekend. It was our last Ethnic Knitting class - and one of the major things that I was excited to learn was the steeking and cutting of the sweater. Well, we all know that I am totally stalled on the sweater that I'm making for the class, so I decided to bring an already existing sweater to try it out on.

First, they recommend that you take some interfacing, and pin it on either side of the sweater (so it runs smoothly through the machine). Then, using a zig-zag stitch, prepare your steeks. Here I am, getting ready to sew on a sweater that took me about 2 months to knit:


here we go Posted by Hello

Then, I had a little meltdown:

preparing Posted by Hello

OK. Now we are at the serious spot. Notice that I made two lines of the zig-zag stitch, since I was turning this pullover into a cardigan:

cutting Posted by Hello

And, here I am after the cut:

done Posted by Hello

I picked up stitches along the whole edge - and it's turning into a very nice cardigan. I'm all excited about it again! I doubt this will be done anytime in the near future, but I'm glad I made the leap.

2 comments:

said...

Wahoo! One of my favorite things to do. Steeks are fun. I purposefully put them in the Tweed pullover I am doing. It has a placket front and sleeves to steek for also. Don't loose steam now, finish that puppy!
Chriskntis

said...

Those are some seriously cute pictures, my friend.