Saturday, January 01, 2011

News and socks

It has been my goal for a while to set up a personal sock of the month club just like The Yarn Harlot. It works so well for her, and I know it would for me too. Plus, this year is the first year that I'm not signing up for the Socks that Rock sock club. Kind of sad, actually - I've been in that club since day one.


On a completely different and unrelated topic, my father passed away rather suddenly on Thursday - and my friend Suzanne, as usual, has swooped in to help. Actually, she was with Aaron and I when I got the phone call. We were on our way to the Webs end of year sale - and I have to admit - it was good retail therapy.


Suzanne is here hanging out and then getting up at the ass crack of dawn to drive me to the airport to head to NC for the service. I'll be there for the week, and I'm in the process of knitting my stepmother a Hawthorne shawl.


Suzanne brought all her sock yarn (enough for 17 socks. Novice) and I brought out my bins (we shall not discuss the actual amount of sock yarn I have). We dug through binders of patterns, magazines and books! I have a LOT of sock patterns. Ahem. Anyway, I put together 22 little sock kits (and a scarf and a pair of mittens). Here they all are in the bags, ready to go:

It's nice and high up on the shelf, so I can't pick and choose what I want to knit. I'll close my eyes and grab one each month. It's up to the fates what it may be.

As if the universe was giving me a break, the pair I pulled for this month is nice and easy. A simple ribbed pattern from Not Just Socks:


My goal is to cast on each sock on the first of the month, no matter what else is going on in my life (personal or knitting). And finish them by the end of the month. Seems doable. All the socks knit out yarn that I know will felt on my feet (I've got HOT feet) will go into a box for presents... and the others will be for me!

3 comments:

said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss!

said...

I'm so, so sorry for your loss Cece!

said...

I am so sorry, Cece.