Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Because we know I'm obsessive...

I bought this book, The Mirasol Collection, Book Three while I was on my extended maternity leave. The first time I paged through it - I fell in love, but it was $22. So I put it back. On a separate trip to the same yarn store, I paged through it again, and realized that this book had something like 6 child sized sweaters I totally wanted to knit... and the sizing goes all the way up to 7 years! I could totally justify the price (I do statistics for a living, so I'm well versed in making the numbers work the way I want them to). I went home, and couldn't stop looking at the sweaters. I figured I had yarn in the stash to make a few of them....

I then took a trip to Webs, and the yarn called for in the book fell into my basket. I justified it this time with the argument that the proceeds from buying this yarn go to a good cause. I bought enough for 4 sweaters. One for Cam (Pani Turi) and three for Maggie (Birdi, Machi and Illapa). I'm also planning on making Hapi for Cam out of yarn I have in the stash....

I started the Pani Turi for Cam when I went to sock camp, and it was really comforting to be knitting something for him when I was missing him SO much. I just finished knitting it last night.
The sleeves looked a little small, but I tried it on Cam this morning, and it fits great. Maybe a little TOO great - I'm nervous about it fitting in the fall... but we'll just have to wait and see. I have another skein of the yarn - so I could lengthen if need be. Tonight I'll stop and get a zipper to finish it up.

So, I've decided that this will be the Mirasol summer - I'll work my way through the 5 more sweaters I want to make from this book. Thank god the patterns are well written and not annoying, because that would have sucked. I didn't even think of that when I brought all the yarn. That's happened to me before - love the picture, love the yarn, but then HATE the way the patterns are written? I have that problem with Inspired Cable Knits. I love almost all the patterns in there, but it seems like any pattern I've knit has had different cable charts and they don't line up so they are a PITA to knit. Anyway, next in line is a sweater for Maggie - don't know which one yet.

1 comments:

said...

Very nice and the colours look good. It is good when you can knit more than one thing out of a book you buy, sometimes I waste too much money on pattern books and then never knit from them.