Monday, August 04, 2008

Going buggie

Since I've gotten on the baby wear kick, I've knit a bunch of newborn sized sweaters.

I also was the lucky recipient of some of Just Jussi's cast offs. She is a knitwear designer, and these weren't up to her high standards - but I think they are pretty awesome:
Needless to say - 9 baby sweaters. Sure, two are girl sweaters... so maybe there are only 7... but I'm thinking I'm good on the newborn sweater area.

Back in October of '05, the Yarn Harlot posted (October 25th) a quick picture of an adorable ladybug sweater. She was planning on knitting it for a pair of boy/girl twins. After poking through her achieves for a long while, it doesn't look like she actually knit this sweater - but when I saw it, I knew I had to knit it.

So - I started on the Ladybug sweater. It's been calling my name for a while - but I'd been scared of the fair isle:

I love it. It's supposed to be a 18 month size - but it looks huge to me (it will be 26 inches across the chest). I'm still a little scared on the whole steeking idea - this pattern doesn't have you add extra stitches to cut later.... scary. I'm just going to press onward - making the little ladybugs is a lot of fun, although slow going at 8 sts to the inch.


5 comments:

said...

Ooooh I just love the lady bug sweater!!!

My little one was born December 9th last year. He is currently in 9 month and 12 month clothes. I started buying his fall clothes in 18 month sizes even though he will still be well under a year. A friend of mine had a son December 4, 2006 and he is currently in 2Ts.

Even though it looks huge now, it may be a perfect fit for next fall!

If I could offer some unsolicited advice . . . make some more 18 month-24 month sweaters. You will be very happy you have them next fall/winter.

said...

I love the ladybug sweater! It's on my to-knit list, too.

said...

You are putting me to shame here! I've only gotten one baby sweater done, and it's not really done. I still have to finish blocking it.

Your little one is going to have an endless supply of handknits!

said...

Looks adorable! You figure either the steeking will make the sweater smaller if you don't quite cut right, or you have to keep in mind who this baby is going to be - I'm not imagining any Braun baby being below average.

said...

Holy crap, that might be the cutest thing I've ever seen. I have to go find a baby to knit one for. Right. Now.