Monday, February 11, 2008

C is for Cabin

In 1975 (the year I was born) my parents finished building our cabin. It is located in Wildwood - which was (and still is!) billed as a year round vacation community. The community has two ponds (we call one a lake, but it's technically a big pond) for swimming, tennis courts and a clubhouse. Our place is a little cabin in the woods about a mile walk from the lake. When I was a kid, we went there every single weekend in the summer.
Here is the lake where I would swim all day long and when I got older, float around on an inner tube and drink at night (don't tell my mom!)

There is another pond that was more for tadpole and frog catching - but I don't seem to have a picture of that one. That's also the pond that people take there dogs to for swimming - there is only one beach, and it's a bit more secluded than the 'main' pond.

This is the room that I used to sleep in (my mom took it over just recently) - it's more of a 'loft' than a room - but the view! I would forgo privacy for a view of the woods any day. And the sound of rain on the roof! Music to my ears!
Here is the stove that heats the whole place - I've fallen asleep many times in front of that fire...
My mom and I didn't have much money to spare when I was growing up. Looking back on my childhood years, it's a freaking miracle that she was able to keep this place and send me to college! It isn't like it is a glamorous place, but for a single mom? It was a haven for us - I loved coming here so much in the summers. I even worked as a life guard for a few summers and lived here alone until my mom would join me on the weekends.


A bunch of great memories are here, and more to come! Aaron and I weren't visiting a lot, because we were busy with our lives here in our own home. But now that things have calmed down, I've been making a point to go up as much as I can - and have been bringing friends with me. Everyone so far has fallen in love with this little cabin in the woods - a perfect place to sit and knit and relax.

3 comments:

said...

it is just perfect! thank you for sharing.

said...

It is wonderful. I feel much the same way about Rangeley, but we don't own property there.

said...

It sounds and looks just wonderful.