Friday, August 31, 2007

This week's cool links

I'm pretty excited for the long weekend. No big plans except relaxing and hanging out with friends. My buddy Laurie is arriving on the 4th for a two week visit! So expect some yarn crawls and other fiber debauchery in the near future.

I haven't done a list of cool things lately, but here are the few things I've found (or have been shown to me):

Couch to 5K Podcast - I actually already had heard of this (thanks to Runagogo), but Amanda called me up and told me we should DO it. I've been doing a lot of walking lately and it's starting to get old. Time to mix it up. I have already gotten a new pair of running shoes and ordered myself a Last Resort Bra. The running will commence on Sunday.

I'm sure everyone who reads my blog reads the Yarn Harlot, but I love her new sock pattern, Earl Grey. Love. I will be making these next. But mine will be Earl Green. Heh heh.

Oh - and another free pattern that I'm in love with? The Hemlock Ring Blanket by Brooklyn Tweed. I have a new obsession with knitted blankets. Perhaps because they are the polar opposite of socks?

In non-knitting linkage, I've been turned onto the Thursday Next book series by Jasper Fforde . I'm a fan of fantasy writing, but mostly do the medieval/magical route. I really like for my reading to be some crazy interesting world that is totally different from real life. These novels are more like an 'alternate world' sort of thing - where it's mostly like the current time, except people can move in and out of books and people move around in time. It's cool. I'm liking it a lot. If you have any other book suggestions, bring them on!

Happy Friday! Long weekend, here I come!

5 comments:

said...

Love the links - thanks for the updates. Keep on truckin' with the socks - you're almost to the finish line! Yeah!

said...

I love the Thursday Next books as well and just started reading the recently released 4th in the series. A fellow commuter turned me onto the serious. Good stuff there!

Have a great weekend!

said...

I am also a fan of Thursday Next, and the audio versions are great--perfect for knitting!

said...

Earl Green?

Sweet.

said...

Ah, Thursday Next - book 5 is out soon. And Barnes & Noble has Jasper Fforde talking about Thursday Next at http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board?board.id=jftn