Friday, July 28, 2006

The parade of cute continues....

I sat down and finished the little lace cardigan last night:



This sweater has been on my list of 'must knits' for a while. I had bought the yarn to make it in red for my niece, but she got to big too fast. I'm glad I finally got to make it!

Details:
Pattern: Patons baby (500978FF) Cardigan Options
Yarn: Zarina by Filatura di Crosa, color 1472 (light blue)
Needles: size 1 and 3 addis
Comments: Like liked the pattern - but didn't LOVE it. I think the sleeves look a little funky - but will anyone notice that on a cute little baby? I think not. It still needs buttons, but I'm stashing it away for now. I'll let the buttons find me - I have time.

Now, go back up to that picture. Look through the table, and at the bandaged toe. As you all know, I'm doing the Breast Cancer 3 Day walk next week. NEXT WEEK, PEOPLE. I went for walks on Saturday and Sunday of last week... and I noticed my toe hurt a little, and was red. But I didn't think anything of it - trust me I've seen worse in the past few months. Tuesday morning I wake up, and it's all infected and nasty at the corner of the toenail. I went to Urgent Care - and the lady there was was all freaked out about it, saying if it didn't look better in a day to come back in for IV antibiotics. And she also gave me a surgical referral.

So - after the normal drama of having to actually get an appointment FAST... I went in this morning to get it all fixed up. The redness is a little better after a few days on the drugs - but no way I could walk 60 miles with it the way it is. Anyway - when I went this morning, the doc said that it was a quick fix, but it would redefine my idea of pain. I was like 'how bad could it be'?

Yeah, that bad. The needle for the novocaine went right in the infected area, and I was like. Wow that hurts!..... but then, when the pain got even worse - I yelled 'FUCK!'. The doc just laughed (in an understanding way), and then dug out the offending piece of toenail in another few seconds and I was done. Right as rain.

And as we walked out, everyone in the waiting room was staring at me.

Great way to start the weekend, huh?

8 comments:

said...

I had a toe problem in middle school. A friend was holding the door to the gym shut, and I was trying to pull it open. She suddenly let go, and the door smashed into my toe. I knew something was wrong right away. When I took off my shoe and sock, my toenail was stuck straight up in a 90 degree angle, with the skin still attached (with holes and bleeding). I went to the doctor, who said she was going to flip it down at the count of three. She flipped it down on two. A shock wave of pain zinged up my leg, torso, and arm in this electrical current fashion- I have never felt anything like that before or since. (Thank goodness!) In a couple of days, you never would have been able to tell that anything had been wrong. Grosser still, if the skin hadn't ripped a little, they would have had to drill a hole in my toenail to let the blood/pressure out. ARRRRRRGH! Hope your toe gets better soon. Ingrown toenails are grody.

said...

Ook! Feel better son and I hope it feels well enough to walk on next week!

said...

Oh my God that makes me cringe thinking about it. I hope it is much better very soon.

said...

Gross - for both stories! Good luck for the walk, hope it's all recovered by then. I like the idea of the buttons finding you, just the way it should be.

said...

The cardigan looks lovely. Buttons are always tricky. We have ONE PLACE to buy buttons here!! V Sad.
Excellent toe story!! Hope you are feeling better soon!!!

said...

OK, I cringed reading this. I hope your toe feels better soon, especially since it's your shifting foot!

said...

Oh, this little cardigan is so gorgeous, I really love the pattern and the color of the yarn that you chose- great work!
I really hope your toe's doing much better soon - thumbs up for the walk!

said...

damn - OW - I'm still cringing. GL with the walk though - wheeeee! Sara