Wednesday, April 20, 2005

My baby blanket

I'm not even talking about the wallpaper removal anymore. I'll let you all know when it's gone, but let's just lay it out right now and state it isn't going well.

I lied that their won't be any knitting content until the wallpaper is gone. I stopped with the damned wallpaper removal at about 9 PM, and then knit for a bit. I've decided to pick up the baby blanket that is holding the size 5's I need for Charlotte's Web. First, let me tell you about the history of this blanket... I started knitting it for a friend about 5 years ago. I was going through a rough personal time, and as usual, turned to my needles to calm me down. It's an easy knit, but time consuming, because it's made with sport weight yarn, and has bobbles. The yarn is acrylic, which I still feel is often the right choice for a baby blanket (think washablity and durability). It took so long to knit, and was such a comfort to me, that about 3/4's of the way through, I decided I couldn't bring myself to give it away. So, I put it in a basket, and waited for the right time to finish it, knowing that it would be for my own baby.

So, when searching for the size 5's, and realizing I had a pair patiently waiting on the baby blanket, I decided that now is the time to finally finish it. Some nice comfort knitting. Funny, now that I look at it, there isn't much left! After a few nights of knitting, I was almost done (like 1 inch from the end of a 4 year knitting odyssey), when I notice that I have made a HUGE mistake that has to be ripped out about 4 inches below. Sigh. Normally, I would think long and hard about such an endeavor - but since this will be for my 'someday in the future baby', and I want the little guy to love it forever - it would torture me to see that mistake day in and day out.

I'll post a picture tonight - it's really a great blanket. And the pattern doesn't call for it - but I'm going to put a seed stitch border around it.

As promised, the full blanket:


full shot Posted by Hello

And a close up of the detail:


close up Posted by Hello

1 comments:

said...

Have you considered a wallpaper steamer? They're only about $50 at Lowe's or Home Depot. We could never have stripped all the wallpaper in our house without it.