Friday, January 14, 2005

Socks are fun!

Back in the 'olden days' - like maybe 3 years ago - all I did was knit socks. I was totally addicted. I have enough hand knit socks in my drawer to go for about 3 weeks without doing laundry. It's awesome. But after (maybe?) the 20th sock, I realized that a woman only needs so many socks... and Aaron isn't a real wool sock guy.

So, I cut back on my sock knitting. Sad, I know, but in the meantime, have made a bunch of other fun things.

Enter in the Sockapalooza. Back in my Sock Obsession days, a joined a Sock Swap on the Socknitters list. I made a pair of socks for someone else, she made a pair for me. It was so much fun to get a beautiful pair of 'notmyhandknit' socks! I totally jumped on the bandwagon when the Sockapalooza was announced.

My Sock pal loves purple. Perfect match for me! But, she is allergic to all wool except for 100% merino. In my sock stash (which is HUGE, a have enough yarn for 30 pairs, easy) I don't have any 100% merino. So - I call my favorite LYS, and they also don't have it. On my way home last night, I was able to stop into my not-so-fav LYS, who I know carries Lorna's Laces, and was able to get her Amethyst Stripe. It's a lighter purple, not the BRIGHT purple that I love, but if you love purple, you love all purple, right?

I cast on for the first sock last night, and that is my new carry-a-long project. It's in a little bag in my briefbag so it doesn't get hurt in travels. I forgot how much fun knitting socks is! Hopefully I can avoid a sock re-addiction! *although some of those older socks are getting a bit threadbare...*

0 comments: