Monday, December 06, 2004

Blueberry Monster!

It's HUGE. It's not very flattering! But it's warm! And finished!

Yes, folks, I finally got the Blueberry jacket finished. It's really great, but may need some blocking time and/or buttons to calm it down. The bands that I knit along the edge aren't falling perfectly, so I'll have to figure that out. This morning, it was 26 degrees, so I HAD to wear it. I got up a little early to finish that last bit of seaming. The pattern doesn't call for buttons but I'm tempted to throw some on there... or at least SOME sort of closure. But it's done! And pretty fabulous. I'll post pictures tonight. Although I'm not sure that someone of my body type should be wearing such a large garment.

Also done this weekend were some neat fabric bowls. I invited my friend Amanda over, and we made some really neat things. I took picture of them also, but was distracted by the last minute Blueberry Coat seaming and didn't throw them up on the blog. They are so fun to make, and turn out so cool! I may make some for gifts, if I become inspired.

I figured out my issue with my Star Sampler quilt, which unfortunately involved ripping out the entire thing. The squares are just a small bit off, and with that center band, it's very difficult to get everything lined up. I ripped the entire quilt apart (which is nothing like ripping out a sweater. That takes what, 10 minutes to rip out a whole sweater? When the knitting took 48 hours? Sewing together the quilt took me maybe 3 hours, and I would say it took about the same about of time, if not more, to rip it apart). Anyway - I will be adding on some funky borders, and making it a "Twist and Turn" quilt. That will be awesome.

ALSO! I went to Circles in JP with my friend Sue! She is an awesome baker. So we've been throwing around the idea (for like a year) that if she bakes me something, I'll make her a hat. Since she lives in JP, and we were visiting, and I had yet to check out Circles (which is the EXACT setup of a yarn store that I would do, by the way*). They have great yarn there, and bought yarn for her hat, a baby sweater and also a scarf!

* Here is my yarn store vision.
1. It would be open smarter hours. Circles is open from 12PM - 8PM. Perfect. This way, people who don't work or have the luxury of leaving there office during the work day can come. But, the people who work 9-6 can also hit the yarn store during the week. It is so frustrating to have to speed to a store because you need 'x' to finish a project and the yarn store closes at 5 PM.
2. Lots of seating for people to just knit. They have a whole Knitting Book area where you can sit and knit! I think there were 10 people in there, COMFORTABLY knitting.
3. Drinks. I would love to also have a coffee shop component to a yarn store. Circles doesn't have EXACTLY that, but they do offer tea and nuts!
And the final kicker, I used to live 2 blocks away from where this store is. They opened AFTER a moved. It's just not right.

0 comments: