Tuesday, September 11, 2007

And the Kauni Cardigan it is!

I tricked some of you, didn't I? You probably thought... that silly girl isn't done with her sock bet yet - she wouldn't have cast on for a totally new project... but I confess. I did. When I saw this sweater over at Steph's blog, I absolutely had to buy the yarn (in the exact same colorway she had - the rainbow one, and roped 4 other knitting pals into buying it also). Then, when I saw the Rainey sister's version with the 2X2 garter edging, I pretty much had to cast on right away.
So Sara, you win! Can you email me at ceceruth AT comcast DOT net? I can't see your blogger profile.
One interesting tip I got from my friend Bonnie - she took a class with Lily Chin where she introduced a great tip when purling in fairisle. Instead of trying to do all the crazy needle acrobatics (at least for those of us that throw our yarn), she says to purl a row with one color and slip the other color. Then come back and slip the first color and purl the next color. It worked great for me. I'm not really a great fairisler... I grew up doing texture knitting, and never felt the need to learn farisle. I just think the resulting sweaters are too damn hot. But I love this sweater enough to get past my issues - and it's a cardigan! I'm hoping that makes it wearable for me.
I want to give a shout out to the Purl Diva. We went on a yarn crawl this weekend (and I had caminsa, so not pictures) which started at Halcyon. What a great store! But my excitement was focused on starting the Kauni Cardigan, so I didn't even buy any yarn! I'm regretting not buying some Jemstones, but it will still be there when I'm ready for it. Our next stop was Purl Diva - and what an AWESOME yarn store. Of course, maybe not for everyone - but she has loads of wonderful sock yarns. She has solid Lorna's Lace, and also Dream in Color Smooshy, that I just had to have. But what pushed us over the edge? She turned us onto the Here There Be Dragon's shawl pattern. The three of us were maybe a bit too excited about it! I can't wait to start up on that one.... but some other WIPs are ahead of it in line.
After my little affair with the Kauni Cardigan, I'm back on the sock bandwagon. I still have two socks to finish by the 18th.
knitknitknitknitknitknit

4 comments:

said...

I guessed a sock only because a bunch of people had already guessed Kauni, so I wasn't going to win with that anyway. But I know too well how beguiling startitis can be, especially when there's something else you're supposed to be knitting.

I had the pleasure of meeting Purl Diva (and her totally amazing hat) at Fiber Frolic. Now I'll really have to try to make it to her store.

said...

hey, don't forget... you also know how to knit backwards! that might help profusely with the purling in colorwork... just don't purl at all! :)

said...

Go sock knitting!!! Rooting on the sidelines for the final stretch. Go socks!!! (good thing we're boston).

said...

Thanks for the kind words about my shop! It was fun to meet y'all!