Friday, January 28, 2005

Gift Certificate = 'free yarn'?

Aaron gave me a gift certificate for $150 for Christmas. I was planning on spending it on the yarn for my Mariah sweater... for which the knit-a-long starts next week! I wanted a kiwi green cotton or cotton/blend, which is hard to find in January. If I found the right kind of yarn, the color wasn't right. I was close to giving up on the KAL mostly because I know with the move I will be very, very, busy - so figured a KAL probably isn't the best idea for me right now anyway.

Insert my trip to the yarn store for a $7 set of size 1 needles. I was 'browsing' around the store (read as 'touching everything and digging for my Mariah yarn') and I found a Cascade Silk/Wool blend in the PERFECT color. I also got a nice purple yarn for Debbie's baby's 5 hour sweater...

The total came to $147.53. I actually got money BACK from the yarn store.

I happily went home, and realized that my yarn room is a huge mess, and most of my stash is packed. Instead of trying to sort it out, I sat down, and finished all of the pieces of my mother's birthday sweater (which I like a little bit more now that it is done) and did the collar, the placket, and sewed together most of it. This weekend, I'll get a zipper and finish putting it together - and she will get it in plenty of time for her birthday on Feb 5th!

Below is a picture of my sock progress... I've turned the heel, and really liking how it is looking! I got lots of complements while working on it in the airport.

0 comments: